Monday, July 30, 2018

WHAT VIVI DID NEXT!

"Good morning everyone, how are you all today - I hope you are well?"

That's how every video by Vivi, on  her YouTube channel  What Vivi did next; begins.  Of course you see Vivi sitting in her garden shed usually with her hair up and her glasses on and she is usually already perspiring from the heat... at least that is the case in most of the video's recorded in 2018.

Vivi is in London England, and they have had the same sort of spring and summer that we have had here.  Hot and dry... something that is relatively unheard of in the UK, especially the dry bit.

Vivi is a seasoned gardener, nothing much gets in the way of her love of gardening, and her ability to produce enough food to sustain her for a year.  But this year, Vivi is upset, stressed, loosing interest and wondering why she bothers, aside for the fact that she needs the food to get her through the winter months.

I know how she feels, and watching her videos has made me realize that my negative gardening attitude this year is more a result of the drought and poor growing conditions on my particular patch of land, than anything else.

Because, like Vivi - I do love gardening.  I love the work, and I love the results.  I just don't love working without results, and this year gardening has been more about that, than anything.

I have never seen a more pathetic garden than mine, and it bothers me that others drive by and may say - "OMG - Have you seen Dale's garden - doesn't it look awful?" 
I actually mentioned that to someone here and she cracked up laughing and told me to come and check out her garden.... and she is a farm woman who always has a huge productive garden!

 The attitude is everywhere... that's rather reassuring!

So I have come to the conclusion that the garden will be out of the ground long before it should be.  The beans are going to be pulled in the next couple of days, and everything else behind it.  Whatever has no fruit on it, will be gone and put on the compost pile.  The freezer won't be filled, and the jars will stay empty on the shelf in the cold room until next year.  It's not the end of the world - but we will miss the good food it gave us all winter long.

I will switch my gardening energies to my flower beds, which as usual are doing rather well, in spite of the drought.  I still have rose bushes to deal with, and now is the perfect time to get those worked on.

So as Vivi would say -   "Crack on, let's get the job done!"








No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...