Monday, July 2, 2018

THE LADIES OF SUMMER!

A few posts back, I was discussing a new mug rug that I designed for my soon to be daughter-in-law's birthday.

The idea actually started with the dress cards that I make.  Every time I make a dress card, I feel like I want to add a hat to the dress.  It's really just a thing I have about hats!

I love them!  I so wish that women wore more hats.  Having said that -  I really do believe that hats are starting to make a comeback, there certainly are more  knit and crochet hat patterns than there have ever been on my pattern sites.

I digress - so back to the birthday card - I made a dress card for the birthday gal and I wanted to make a mug rug for her as well, as I had made one for my son the month before.  I looked at all my designs and really wanted something different...

So I decided I would try something with a hat.

A hat on it's own is only a hat - but put it on a head, with a neck and shoulders, and you have a lady...

And the Ladies of Summer was born.

This is the one I made for Sasha... she was my prototype....



I tried this design with another arm and even gloves...

 


but I eventually went back to the one arm, no glove design, mainly because they looked better when quilted...

 

The second design started this way...


But I didn't like having to paint on a eye, so I lowered the brim of the hat, got rid of the eye and ended up with this lady.


The third lady is shy, pensive and I think totally adorable... and she is mostly hat!  I think I might love this one the most!


And the final lady is a blast of style... The hat may be smaller, but it is certainly a statement of it's own!


So far I have only done these 4 styles of hats, but I am toying with idea of doing a bride with a veil, and perhaps some Ladies of Winter - fur hats might be next!

These mug rugs have all been sold and I am working on some stock for future sales and some gifts.  

Mug rugs are intended to be little quilted mats that you can put a cup of tea or coffee and a treat on.  I realize that these mug rugs have gone beyond that concept a wee bit, but why can't we ladies have something different and pretty to set our cup on instead of a plain old coaster...


So there you have my Ladies of Summer...












No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...