Tuesday, July 31, 2018

A LOVE AFFAIR TO LAST A LIFETIME!

Do you have one of these?




If you do you are at least my age or maybe older than me.

For those of you who are much younger and maybe have never seen one before it is an Sewing or Embroidery box.


Ancient - positively ancient - I know!  But once upon a time a lot of little girls received one of these around the age of 9 or 10 yrs old.

I got mine from my Aunt Annie for Christmas when I was 9 yrs old.  The lid was filled with needles, and the box itself had a package of assorted embroidery threads in just about every colour one could imagine - and a pair of tiny scissors.  I thought I was in heaven!



If you have one of these, and haven't opened it in years and years - you may just be sitting on a goldmine - especially if you have the really old silky threads, that nowadays are considered specialty threads.

Do we even teach little girls how to embroider anymore?  We should be.  Hand stitching is a very useful tool for anyone - male or female to have knowledge of.

And in case you are wondering - people still are embroidering, still enjoying it, and still using it as a very viable craft.

In our day we embroidered things like T-towels, pillowcases, and baby blankets...

Today it is considered Art!

Check out a few of these images...

These are not at all what I learned to do with a needle and thread - and yet I could do these... embroidery can be anything you want it to be, now a days - 




 



 


So why not teach our young this very useful craft?  You never know where it will take them.  Maybe they might be a textile artist someday - a designer - who knows there may be a day when they will need to supplement an income... like I have done many many times over the years with my skills.

Or just maybe it might be a hobby that pleases them, something quiet, solitary, something they can do to escape stress, a broken heart...to think things out.  Maybe it will be that one activity where they feel close to you, because you taught it to them - maybe it will bring back fond memories when you are no longer here with them.


With a little thread and a needle, you could start a love affair that lasts a life time.

Just like my Auntie Annie did 54 yrs ago!





No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...