Wednesday, July 25, 2018

GROWING MY OWN!

One of the things I have most wanted to do in my garden, pretty much since I've had a garden, is grow herbs for teas and cooking.
English Thyme

I tried unsuccessfully for many years when we lived in the city - but then I didn't have a yard that was good for growing much except hardy perennials.

I have never been overly successful in growing herbs indoors, either - the best I have managed was over-wintering a rosemary plant in a pot for two winters.

This spring, I decided I would really try and get this herb and tea garden idea of mine going.  I thought I would plant this garden on the south side of our house.  I didn't do that - and happy I am that I changed my mind, because I now know they would never have made it there.

So I purchased a ready made 4x4 raised bed from Home Hardware, set it in a sunny spot in my yard, and planted my herbs...
Lemon Balm

I soon realized that they hated where they were living, it was too hot, too sunny, and windy days whipped them around, which they really did not like.  So I dug them all up and moved them to the north side of my garden shed, that gets morning sun and a bit of daytime sun, but by mid afternoon is shady and cool....  They flourished!

My herb garden is really tiny - but I am here to tell you that this type of garden can be very small and still give you lots of cuttings of herbs.
Sweet Basil

I have Peppermint and Spearmint ( in pots), and in ground I have Sweet Basil, Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Summer Savory, Lemon Balm and Chamomile.


Sage

Oregano

The only thing that has not done overly well, and no fault of the plant, is Chamomile.  My tiny fragile plants have been choked out twice by weeds and really have not had a chance to get to their full potential - still I am getting some flowers to dry off them, but not near what I had hoped.

After I moved them, I let all the plants get good and established and then I started cutting for drying purposes.  I leave some fresh stock on the plant for cooking, but mostly I want to dry my herbs for future use.

Drying is so easy, and it takes so little time to get the dry product, that I wonder why we buy our dried herbs in bottles from the store.  I can tell you now, that I have never opened a jar of store bought herbs and smelled what I am smelling from my own dried herbs now.  It is amazing how strong the smell and flavour are!

To dry your herbs:
Cut your herbs, give them a quick wash with cool water and shake off any excess.  Remove any leaves that are brown or spotty, gather into small bundles ( smaller bundles dry faster) and tie the tops with string.

Tag your herbs with name and date you bundled them for drying and hang them somewhere cool and dry.  I didn't tag the first bunch I hung to dry - after all the plants all look so different - easy to identify right?  I learned the hard way, that when they are dry, some of them look alike and even smell alike - so I have tagged them ever since.

Peppermint

If I have to remove some leaves to make stems on the top long enough to tie, I save those leaves as well.  I don't waste any part of this precious harvest.  I either use the individual leaves fresh in teas or cooking, or I let them dry and add it to my dried product later.






I found a used CD rack at the recycle store, and purchased some long dowels at the hardware store, and Voila!  My drying rack was born!




Depending on the size of your bundles, your herbs will take several weeks to dry.  Once dry, remove the leaves from the stems.  If you wish you can crush your herbs simply by rubbing them in your hands.

Store your dried herbs in labeled glass jars, I use small jars from things purchased such as Jam or pickles - anything really!


A note to remember that dried herbs are 3 times stronger than fresh, so keep that in mind when using them.

Next year I plan to add several more tea herbs to my garden.  I have purchased a perennial Chamomile seed for next years planting, and I want to add Hyssop and Fennel and a few other tea herbs as well.

My office area smells amazing at the moment, and I know the flavour from each of these bundles will be just as amazing in a few weeks time.

Try it - you'll like it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...