Wednesday, July 4, 2018

THE LILY NOOK!

 I have been digging up more of my yard once again.  The very neglected front of our house, is finally getting the start of a much needed face lift.

We tore down a narrow brick planter that ran the entire length of the house, and I have been creating a flower bed ( a very long one) where the planter once stood.   I have widened the bed significantly, and have been moving some of my more established perennials into it.

A couple of days ago I decided to work on the rest of the area that had the planter, on the other side of the front steps.  I had bought a Mock Orange bush for somewhere over on that side, so had to dig a  space for that - what I ended up with was a  a nice size flower bed to accommodate not only the bush, but some flowers as well.

Last year I had planted a small dogwood just beyond the spot I was working on, so I decided to join the two spaces with a small peninsula-type bed.

My first idea was to move some of my rose bushes to this peninsula bed.  It would be perfect for roses, as one could work around both sides of them to keep them looking their best.  But that idea required more work than I have time for at the moment, because my roses are old and so well established that they are pretty much growing into the foundation of the house.  Removing them is not going to be a easy job ( know this from experience as we tried removing some from a different bed last year).  And to be quite honest - although I would love to be able to maintain some of those roses, digging them and moving them will not be the way to go.

So I have been reading up on how to propagate new roses from cuttings - and as soon as I get my hands on some hormone powder, I will be starting that process on all the varieties of roses I have.

So what to put in my new peninsula bed?

I can't believe it took me so long to think of it - I must be slipping!

I live a little over a half an hour from the Lily Nook!  I am going to plant Lilies.

I love Lilies, but sadly the Lily beetle destroyed all mine in my garden in Winnipeg.  Happily - the Lily beetle is not here ( yet), and the Lily Nook, located just 2 miles south of Neepawa has over 1500 named varieties growing in their six acre plot of land.  Their catalogue offers 150 of those varieties, and they ship world- wide so if you are interested visit their website ( below).

www.lilynook.mb.ca

Even more exciting for me is from July 1 - 31, they allow the public to open tour their lily fields.  Can you imagine?

A camera moment for sure... I will have it charged with an empty SD card in place...

So, next week, I have a date with my hubby to visit the Lily Nook - to take photo's and to buy some new Lilies for my garden.  I already know a few that will be coming home with me..

                                                 


   



Blackstone

Of all these Stella is still my favourite!  Stella and Bumble Bee are both Day Lilies, so if the beetle does make it's way to us - these two plants will be okay.

Am I excited?

You Betcha!








No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...