Thursday, December 20, 2018

24-HOUR SALAD - A FORGOTTEN TREASURE!

Even though Gary and I are going to be alone this Christmas, we are planning a special Christmas dinner as usual.  We may not have family with us to share our feast, but that doesn't mean we will short-change ourselves on tradition.

Part of our Christmas tradition has always been a full turkey dinner for Christmas day.  Turkey, dressing, potatoes, turnip, cabbage rolls, coleslaw, made from scratch cranberry sauce, at the least - and if we had extra guests, I always added more sides, and more salads.

Over the years I have always tried to include a very special salad, which has always been our family favourite, but I haven't made it for quite a few years now, and I decided this year, to make our dinner extra special for just the two of us,  I am going to make "The Salad"

This Salad is actually a meal in itself, and suits very well to most meals, and take it from me, you will be making it more than once, if you try it this year!


24-HOUR SALAD

1 head iceberg lettuce, torn
sugar
6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1 10-oz package frozen peas, thawed
1 pound bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup mayonnaise 


In the bottom of a large bowl place 3 cups of the lettuce.  Sprinkle with a little sugar, salt and pepper.
Layer eggs atop the lettuce  and stand some eggs on the edge around the bowl if desired.
Sprinkle generously with salt.

Next: Layer in order: peas, remaining lettuce, bacon and cheese.
Spread mayonnaise over the top, sealing to the edge of the bowl.

Cover and refrigerate for 24 hrs, or overnight.

Garnish with sliced green onion and paprika, if desired.

Toss before serving.

Makes 12-15 servings.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...