Monday, December 3, 2018

ON OUR WAY TO THE LIGHT!

A couple of days ago I was watching a video from a lady that I  follow who lives in Ireland.  Her name is Colette and she has a website and a YouTube channel called Bealtaine Cottage, which is also the name of her home on three acres in the West of Ireland.

Colette was talking about the darkness of winter, and how it affects so many people adversely.  I personally have never experienced this phenomena, but I know many who have, some in my own family.  They have even given this condition a name - Seasonal Depression.

It is true that winter is dark, and if you work all day in a building where there are few windows or even if you have windows, you might not be able to be near them much, so you go to work in the dark, work all day not really noticing the light, and by the time you are ready to go home again it is once again dark.

I remember those days so well.

What is it about the dark of winter that brings us down?  Is it the lack of Vitamin D?  Is it the inactivity?  Or is it truly the absence of light?

I am very lucky indeed to live in a part of the world where winter has an abundance of bright sunny days - in fact the general rule here is the colder it is the brighter it is.  But even so - I do welcome the dark of winter.  For me it means a time to rest more, especially during the long evenings.  I read more, I listen to more music.  Sad to say, I also watch more TV, spend more time on the computer, but in any case, I don't feel the darkness as a negative thing - I cherish it.

As we work our way through December towards the Winter Solstice, I sort of get a feeling of excitement.  Yes we still have a very long winter ahead of us here in Canada, but in just 18 more days, the days will start getting longer each and every day, the light will be with us longer, and with each new brighter day, we are one day closer to the day the winter will truly be over and spring will have arrived.

There are special lamps one can buy to help you through the darkness of winter.  I know they do work well. There is help...

 Colette lights candles,  I prefer a soft filtered light of a lamp turned low.  Both are restful in their own way, I guess... both embrace the darkness with warmth, not necessarily light.

On days that you can be home during the day - throw open the blinds, let the light in.  If it's a sunny day, move your chair into the sun.  Go for a walk, even if it's cold - bundle up and take a few minutes walk outside, if you are able.

Take extra Vitamin D, or even a multivitamin, we tend not to eat the same amount of Vitamins in the winter as we do in the summer months.

And remember in just 18 more days, we are starting our daily journey towards the light.

The sun still gives us many hours of warm beautiful light each day - seek it out - find that spot on the floor where it rests, and stick by it, and know that soon every day that spot will stay longer and longer, until spring finally arrives.




No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...