Thursday, March 8, 2012

National Crochet Month!

Did you know it is National Crochet Month?  I didn't until this morning... I read it on another blog that I follow.  Wonder what activities are planned to celebrate this month.  Will have to check into this further and get back to you.  Personally I think it would be a great month to go out and buy a nice new hook and some worsted weight yarn and head to you-tube for some basic crochet instructions.

My advice would be to start with something very basic like a dishcloth - it is useful, but better than that it can be completed fairly quickly by a beginner and my thoughts are you are more likely to pick up that hook again, if you actually finish your very first project.

So many people want to make a masterpiece on their first attempt, and so they start and then when they realize they can't accomplish the masterpiece they give up.
No - don't do that, start simple, and small.
And stick with it.  No one's first efforts are without faults.  So you have a few dishcloths that aren't perfectly straight, or even have a hole or two... so what - wash those dishes with pride, knowing you made that dishcloth, and know that the next one and the next one and the one after that will just get better and better as you master the craft.

You can do, and if you need help  - I am here to help you any way I can.

My new little prototype is done.  I think I am happy with her, and already I have a million ideas on how to change her up.  She is a fairy more than an angel, I'm thinking.  Designed to hang in a window perhaps.  She has glass beads wrapped with copper wire for legs and I added some beads to the wings to when the light hits her she sparkles.  You can't see it in the picture but the material of her dress also shimmers - its a sparkly tulle of some sort that I have lying around.  I have a bag of colours that are very fairy-like that I plan to use up on these little gals.

Hopefully I can get a bunch made and in the totes for my craft sale this fall.  I might even try and sell some on Etsy just to test the market.

Anyway here she is....


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...