Thursday, February 17, 2011

It's Sweater Day

Did you know that today is "Sweater Day"  all across Canada?  What is "Sweater Day", you might ask?
It is a day of conscious energy saving.  We are supposed to turn our heat down by 3 degrees for the whole day and put on a sweater.   So if you are energy conscious - today would would be a good day to put this into practice.

Have you noticed how much longer our daylight hours are these days?  By the time I get to work at 7:09 - the sun is just reaching the horizon, and it's well past 6 PM before it goes back to bed for the night.  It is inspiring... even if the weather is cold, and the wind is blowing, the longer day reminds us that spring will come once again, hopefully soon.

I have an friend who lives in North Carolina, who has been pulling weeds in her garden and working in her yard for the past couple of days.  I am insanely jealous of her, especially when all I see when I look at my garden is piles of snow, but the snow isn't as deep as it was a week ago - so that is something.

I am wondering about my plants though... I have a explorer rose that has only wintered 1 season, and this winter was extremely cold.  I'm hoping that the heavy snow cover and it's south exposure will help it winter well this year too.  I lost a bunch of perennials last winter, I am so hoping that won't be the case this winter.
In any case I can't wait for gardening season to be upon us.  I have a ton of work to do out there this year, and am very anxious to get at it.

So remember to turn down your heat - don your sweater, and do enjoy your day! 

1 comment:

  1. Its sweater day here too-only not to save energy ( we do that alot!) but its finally warmed up enough for just a sweater!!

    Hope your rose bush makes it as it has been a super cold year. You might try putting some straw or hay on it for this next upcoming winter.

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...