Monday, March 25, 2019

IT'S HAPPENING!

No more wondering - Spring is here at last!

In the past week we have seen almost all our snow gone.  There is a little bit here and there, but mostly it has vanished.  And truly - vanished is the correct word!

There are no puddles or standing water anywhere on our property - however, some ditches this past week have been very full, and in some places along the highways, there is the occasional flooded field, which I am sure will also disappear quickly once the ground opens up enough - spring runoff aside, as we still are very dry from the past few years drought.

Can you imagine what I have been doing?

I will be honest - I have been driving myself quite mad, walking around the property looking for signs of life - of which there are none.

I have also been plotting and planing this years vegetable and flower gardens.



I have started my tomatoes, peppers and Aunt Molly's ground cherries, and I have really wanted to start other vegetables, but happily there is a smidgen of common sense still left in my Spring induced brain!

I am growing 7 varieties of tomatoes this season:

Centennial Rocket
Prairie Pride
Amish Paste
Purple Russian
Manitoba
Super Sweet Cherry tomatoes
Midnight Snack Cherry tomatoes.

For peppers I am trying:

Blazing Banana ( HOT)
Corbaci (sweet)
Purple Beauty (sweet)

Aunt Molly's ground cherries, are a new crop I am trying, for salads and also for making jams and jellies.

Next seeding of vegetables will be squashes, pumpkins and melons, but that is still a month away, and following that will be cucumbers, cucamelons, and brassicas, shortly after.

In-ground crops will be seeded the third week of May or so, once the danger of frost is past.

In the meantime, there is a lot of bed prep needing to be done, some new beds to create, and lots of cleanup around the property, which will keep me busy for the next six weeks.

And right in the middle of all this outdoor activity, I have had such a urge to knit myself a cardigan.  Where in the world did that thought come from?

So now I need to go yarn shopping... somewhere!

At times like this, I wish I had pursued my original dream of moving to the county and opening a wool shop.  I got it half right - but there still is a real need for a shop that carries wool, yarn and basic handicraft items.

Is this Spring Fever then?

You tell me!








No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...