Wednesday, March 6, 2019

A PERSON REALLY SHOULDN'T CLEAN!

When I was cleaning through the studio, I stumbled up a bag of 4 " fabric squares.  I had forgotten about the idea I had to cut all my scraps up and make a tied quilt of assorted 4" squares.    I piled them beside the Elna, just to let it know I wasn't giving up without a fight.

A day or so later, I decided to try sewing the squares on the Elna.  I had about 40 squares, and I managed to string piece them all in a very short time.  The machine ran - not real speedy but better than it had the last time I tried.  Progress!

I had been watching a lot of video's during the time I waited for the Elna to make up it's mind what it was going to do, and one of the video's was of a woman making over the shoulder purses from jeans.

Jean purses are not a new concept, and I kind of get my dander up a bit when people make video's about their creations and portray the notion that they invented the idea.

Well not in this case.  My Aunt Margaret made me my first jean purse, made from the top part of pair of blue jeans in the 1980's.  So it's been around awhile...

I have made some myself over the years, and I just happen to have a lot of old blue jeans in my stash - So why not?

I like to use fancier jeans for the purses, and if you hit the thrift shops, you can find a lot of really cool jeans to work with...

So I got out some jeans and started cutting out purses.

You can either use the whole bum part for a full size purse or bag, or you can cut the top of your jeans in half right beside the zipper - this way you get two smaller purses.

So you cut across the jeans at the crotch and then cut down about 1/2" from the zipper from the waist to the crotch, and the picture below is what you have when you open one side out.

Here is the first one I have been working on...

I have been doing some embellishing.. I stitched some contrast fabric behind the pocket, and I think I will also add some tiny lace along the angle opening of the pocket, just to finish it off.

I sewed a scrap of fabric on the small pocket. and added a lace flower at the bottom.

On the back I appliqued a butterfly over a piece of scrap fabric.

Purple is the accent colour on this purse.



This will be the front of the purse


and this will be the back.


I decided to add one of my button flowers on the lace flower..


I like this now.


I am toying with the idea to add a Boho tassel on the back, but not sure yet if I like it.  This one is just lying on top  of the piece so far.



As this purse in intended for a younger person, I still think it needs more bling!

I will probably do something at the band of the jeans, and now I have to fully line the purse, and I will be using the same material that is at the back of the front pocket, and I will add some sort of closure as well.

I use the legs of the jeans to make the strap for the purse, and this one will be an adjustable shoulder strap,

Oh - and you will never guess how I have been sewing this so far. .. 

Machine sewing - on the Elna - which has decided that it likes this project much more than the wall -hanging, I guess!

You see - I have decided that I deserve a brand new computerized crafting/ quilting machine... and I have been muttering about it constantly as I have been sewing...

And it's not an idle threat...

Have a Great Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...