Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Square!

I wish I were talking about Berkley Square - but in actual fact I am only talking about an afghan square.  Remember I was talking about making an afghan for a graduate student... I was planning on making a flower loom afghan to be exact - well I still am making an afghan - but as often happens with me and my grand ideas - well lets just say that plan didn't work out well at all.

The loom flowers are nice and all ...


But the joining of them leaves me - well - feeling not very accomplished!

So my next idea was to do a Granny Hexagon.  You know a 5-sided granny square!

Here's the funny thing - all my life I thought a Hexagon was 5 sided - seriously - I know for a fact that the Winnipeg School Division taught this in the 1960's or 70's.  There is no way I got it wrong!

So here I was trying to get a 5-sided granny square designed that would fit together and wondering why it was not working....

What did we ever do before the Internet?

After a very brief  research, don't you know I discovered the 6-sided Hexagon - which works out well in a Granny Square, and goes together perfectly!

Here is what I came up with...


 I really like these but I am kind bugged that I can't use the flowers so I'm toying with the idea of doing this, somehow...




Perhaps I will do a bright color around the flowers, in a 6-sided Hexagon and insert 1 flower in the middle of 6 granny's.

Well that is an idea, yet to be tried.

However I put this together I am guessing it will be very colorful and bright when it's done - and best of all - I'm using up a lot of my stash of yarn that would otherwise be taking up space in my yarn totes.

To be Continued...









No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...