Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Prayer Shawls

Last year I was involved in the Prayer Shawl Ministry at my church.  I made a couple of shawls, but because I could not attend the meetings or shawl making get togethers, I dropped out of the group. 

Yesterday my pastor blessed a shawl for a friend of mine who is having surgery today.  I will give it to her as soon as she is able to be up a bit.  In the meantime, it got me to thinking about getting back to contributing to this very special and important ministry.

I should use my talents more to help others than I do - I think we all should.  Something I make with my hands can be used to comfort someone else in a totally different way.   It is a gift of the heart, but also a gift of spirit.  So I decided to start a new prayer shawl to donate to the ministry at church.

While my BFF is in surgery, my mind and heart are consumed with positive thoughts and prayers for her and the surgeons who are operating on her.  Could there be any better time to start a shawl for someone else in need?  I don't think so.

I thought I might make a lacey shawl, maybe along the lines of broomstick lace.  Remember that technique of crocheting off a very large knitting needle?  I will have to google it and see if I can find the instructions - it has been many years since I last tried this method of crochet that was all the rage in the 70's.

In the meantime, I will keep those positive thoughts and prayers focused on my dear friend.  She faces a very long and difficult recovery and will need all the prayers that we can send.



1 comment:

  1. Awww.....what a lovely writing that was. I enjoyed reading what came from your heart for your friend. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...