Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Going Back!

I think one of the reason I so love to work on dolls is that it makes me remember simpler times in my life, where an evening was spent curling hair, or doing nails - those kinds of things. 

Do you remember when looking great meant a lot of "home" work.  My Mom and I went to the beauty school once a year for a perm,  but both our hair grew quickly so between those perms it was good old Toni Home perms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs2_OZgpjI4

Funny as it seems, it is the rods from these old Toni perms that I use to curl my Doll's hair today - now there is repurposing  101!


Even with a perm, hair had to be curled - at least once a week - usually Saturday. If there was something going on Saturday night - the hair was curled Saturday afternoon. Otherwise Saturday evening was set aside for washing and curling the hair. Mom did mine - I did hers.



First we washed with this:



or this

Then we used these...

and plastic pics... ouch!











Then we either sat outside on the front step (well I did, Mom - not so much - mother's didn't sit around in those days) or we sat under one of these (usually in the kitchen).  Ours was a real fancy one - it even had a separate motor with attachments for nails...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QvDo2N2YE


It took hours and hours to look beautiful.  But look beautiful we did!  I even have pictures to prove it...

In our house eye makeup wasn't worn - not even mascara... but we did use face powder and this..

And I actually had one just like this....


And this was beauty in the 60's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...