Monday, January 21, 2013

Sunday Chicken Rice Bake - ummm good!






Brrrr.... Double Brrrrrr.....

It is cold outside.  We are getting into the -30's and colder with the wind chills.  There is even some talk of -40's.  Haven't had that yet this year, but I guess we will soon.

When the weather is this cold I like to make comforting meals like casseroles, stews, soups etc.  It just seems to warm a body so much more when you have something that has been cooked in the oven for awhile to eat.

Yesterday, being Sunday, I decided it was a casserole for supper night.  We like to keep Sunday dinner a family meal (when possible) and yes we do eat it at the table, as we do each and every meal.

I can't tell you how many people have snickered at my insistence at eating at the table.  It seems more don't than do.  But I like the gathering around the table, especially for the supper meal.  After a day where everyone has gone out and done different things, it is nice to gather and share a meal, and share the day.

So last eve I decided to make a family favourite... Company Chicken.... don't know who ever started that name because the recipe is actually called Sunday Chicken Rice Bake.  As usual it was so good that there wasn't even leftovers.  I usually make a batch of baking powder biscuits to go with it.  What would have been really good last night would have been a cobbler of some sort for dessert - or a warm bread pudding, but I didn't get around to making dessert, so we missed out on the sweet treat last night.

If you are looking for a nice all in one dish meal - here it is...

Sunday Chicken-Rice Bake.

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 can mushroom pieces
1 cup regular rice
1 10 oz pkg of frozen vegetables - I use half a small bag
Chicken pieces of your choice... 2.5-3 pounds chicken pieces. - I like using the drumstick with thigh attached or breasts.

In a bowl stir together mushroom soup, milk, dry onion soup mix and undrained mushrooms.  Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture and set aside.  Stir uncooled rice and frozen vegetables into remaining soup mixture.

Turn rice mixture into a 12x7.5x2 inch baking dish.  Arrange chicken pieces atop.  pour reserved soup mixture over chicken.  Sprinkle chicken pieces with paprika.  Cover tightly with foil.  Bake at 375 till rice is tender - 1.5 hrs.  Makes 4-6 servings.


Enjoy!


Happy Birthday to my brother, Dean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...