Monday, January 10, 2011

This and That!

Happy Monday, everyone... another new week, and for those of us who work full time - the first full week of work following the short weeks of the Christmas/New Year celebrations.

I don't know about you, but I already have searched the calendar for the next long weekend - and for me it will not be until Feb 21st... sounds like a long time away, but I'm sure it will be here quicker than I think... at least I hope it will!

Last week I was over visiting my neighbors Elaine and Gordon.  If you remember, Gordon had lung surgery in November.  He had many set backs and was in the hospital for 8 weeks, but is home how and slowly healing and improving.

While I was there Elaine (who is a spinner/weaver/knitter and stitcher) pointed to a box and a large bag standing in the corner of the room.  She was most anxious to show me their contents.  She pulled out the box first and handed me a bit of soft fluffy fiber, and declared it carded un-spun black sheep's wool.  The bag was filled to the top of raw black sheep's fleece.

Oh boy; my heart started pittering and a pattering, mainly because I have been after her for months and months to teach me to spin!  She got out her carders and proceeded to show me how to card the raw wool to ready it for spinning.  We worked on that for quite some time, and then she sent me home with "homework."

Can you imagine?  I have wanted to learn this all my life.... and now I am on my way!  I was told we will card the whole bag (ugh)... and I have to pick a project out before we spin, so we spin enough of the same weight to finish a project...(double ugh).  Picking 1 project is just sooooo hard for me to do.  Right away I "Go into business"!!  It's a real character flaw of mine!

So now I have to pull out all those patterns I stashed away over Christmas break, and try and pick 1 project to make out of black (actually it's more brown) sheep's wool.

How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...