Monday, January 24, 2011

Proud to be a Winnipegger!

I have lived in Winnipeg, almost all my life.  I lived in Winnipeg's sister city, Chicago, for three years when I was first married, but other than that Winnipeg has always been my home.

We are a prairie city -  a very diverse city in population, culture, weather, and mentality. We are often the object of cynicism ( mostly from ex-Winnipeggers), often laughed at and made fun of buy the rest of the country for our sometimes backwards ways...

Winnipeggers are strong and friendly, (even our licence plate says so).  We are  talented and resourceful and I am proud to be a Winnipeger.  Many of our children leave our city - and most return again, and stay forever.

To be a Wiinipegger, one must like winter, or at least be able to tolerate it to some degree.  To be a Winnipegger one must also like hot humid summers, or at least have AC in your home or vehicle. 

This little article landed on my desk the other day, and most of it is pretty accurate.  I thought I'd share it with you.  Obviously Jeff knows someone from Winnipeg, or he has actually spent some time here himself.


Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has
to say about Winnipeggers from Manitoba, Canada:

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If someone in a Home Depot store
Offers you assistance and they don't work there,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation
With someone who dialed a wrong number,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If 'vacation' means going anywhere
South of Brandon for the weekend,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you measure distance in hours,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you know several people who
Have hit a deer more than once,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C'
In the same day and back again,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you can drive 90 km/hr through two feet of snow
during a raging blizzard without flinching,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you carry jumper cables in your car
And your wife knows how to use them,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If the speed limit on the highway is 80 km --
You're going 95 and everybody is passing you,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If driving is better in the winter
Because the potholes are filled with ice & snow,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you know all four seasons:
Almost winter, winter, still winter,
And road construction,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you have more miles
On your snow blower than your car,
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

If you find -12 degrees 'a little chilly',
You may live in Winnipeg, Mb, Canada.

In the next few posts, I would like to share my hometown with you - Dale-style.  Hopefully you will see why I love this city and why I am proud to call myself a Winnipeger....

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...