Friday, January 28, 2011

German Pancakes can be Weight Watcher food!

I have been having a craving for German pancakes for several weeks now, and decided that I really needed to feed my craving, so last night for supper I made German pancakes.

These were the only kind of pancakes my Mom made for us, in fact it wasn't until I was almost a teenager and was with my friends' family at their cottage one weekend, that I discovered that there was another type of pancake than the ones we were used to eating.  Truth be told - I really don't like the small puffy chalky ones - much prefer the large, thin crepe-type.

At home we ate the German pancakes with butter and sprinkled with sugar... mmmmmm!

So back to last night....

If you are not familiar with the Weight Watcher Program, it's based on the point system.  Each and every food has a point value.  Based on your current weight you are given a total allowance of daily points that you can eat.  It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you don't exceed your point limit.

My daily point limit is 24.  By the time supper came along, I had eaten 12 points, and had 12 for the remainder of the day ( supper and evening snack).

So I made the German pancakes, which are fat-free (bonus).  I counted the pancake itself as 3 points, and instead of adding butter and syrup, I decided to use a 1 point  fat-free vanilla yogurt (instead of the butter) and I chopped up an apple (1 point) and nuked it in the microwave, put it over the yogurt on the pancake, sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on it, rolled it up like a crepe - and WOW!  I don't think I'll ever put butter and syrup on my pancakes again!

I ate two - which was counted as 10 points in total - and I was stuffed and completely satisfied.  And - I still had 2 points for my evening snack.

And this is why Weight Watchers works... you can still feed your cravings and be successful.


So if you want to give this a try, here is my German Pancake recipe.

1 and 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 and 3/4 c milk (I use skim).

Make a well in the flour and add salt. Beat the eggs and add the milk, pour into the flour and beat well until there are no lumps.  The batter is very thin .

Heat your skillet good and hot, spray with spam or lightly oil - whichever you prefer.  Pour enough batter in to cover the bottom of the skillet ( about 1/4 cup, and then tilt the pan until the batter covers the skillet).  Cook until bubbles appear in the batter, then turn and cook the other side.

You will have a very thin, dinner plate sized pancake to dress however you choose... but do yourself a favour and try the yogurt and fruit... I'll bet strawberries would be great too, or blueberries, or peaches, or.....

Enjoy -

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...