Tuesday, November 20, 2018

CARDS FROM THE OLD COUNTRY!

The old country - there is something you seldom hear from any one's lips anymore.  When I was a child, Europe was always referred to as the "Old Country".  When did it stop being the Old Country, and become Europe?

My maternal grandparents were both from the "Old Country"... and when they came to Canada they left behind families that continued to communicate with them through cards and postcards until their deaths.

I am very fortunate to have these treasures from the past.

If any of you can read the salutations on the back, which I have included with each card, I would be very grateful to have some interpretation.

All these are post-cards... I have given you the front and back of each card.  I love the handwriting on the back almost as much as I love the cards...






___________







_______________







_______________





This last one is obviously an Easter card - kind of a scary image, but does have a signature on it, so I will look up the artist.





Isn't it wonderful what you find in forgotten boxes in the back of the closet?













1 comment:

  1. The cards are lovely! For the one which says Ein Frohes Weihnachtsfelt (on happy Christmas) this is what I interpreted using Google translation: sends yours Schnester and Schnagevin. Whatever that might mean! lol The rest I can't really decipher. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...