Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Today is the First Day...

Of the rest of your life...

If you think these words have been used over and over again since they first appeared on posters in the 1960's, you would be correct.  Google them and see what comes up. 

There are inspirational sites who use this phrase, there are song writers and performers who have used this phrase; there are ordinary people like you and I who cling to this phrase; and sadly there are some who scoff at this phrase.

Today I am going to use it for me.

TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE.

I say it with conviction, and determination, and a firm belief that it is true (for me) on many levels.

Yesterday I visited my oncologist - a routine 6 month check-up much like the ones I have been attending every 3-6 months for over 5 years.  What made yesterday different was that yesterday marked the end of five years of cancer treatment for me.  No more nasty drugs, no more feeling like I am fighting for my life every night when I take my meds before I go to sleep.  No more feeling like I have to "do something" to be able to stay alive and living.

I left his office with tears in my eyes - tears of joy, yes!  Tears of fear - most certainly... but as I walked back to work, I felt pretty light, thankful, and renewed, and the thought came to me that tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life.

I have a rest of my life - thanks to the past 5 years - and I can't wait to get started on it.

I am not the same person I was 5 years ago - I am new, this is my first day... I can start again and do things different or do things the same - the choice is mine.

Someone (on the internet) wrote that this phrase is " A cop out for those who seek to use "psychological mind trickery" in hopes of starting over.  Kind of like how people who do video games, when they mess up they punch reset and start over."

I'm laughing at this comment - in fact I'm rolling on the floor laughing at this person.... kinda like!  LOL! ROFL! 

All I have to say to this person is - my hope for you is that life never challenges you more than that of your beloved video games...

 This IS the beginning of a new day,

and

Today IS the first day in the Rest of My Life!

Thank you, Dr. Fox, Dr. Momoh, Dr. Lezack and Dr. Gerber - for helping me reach this very special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...