Thursday, August 9, 2018

RECIPE THURSDAY - CHERRY CRUMB CAKE!

I very seldom bake a cake, and when I do, it is usually for someones birthday - and if it is anyone in my immediate family, it would then be a Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake - because that is our family favourite cake.

Whatever happened to the concept of  -    If I knew you were coming, I'd have baked you a cake?

My Mom always baked a cake if people were coming to visit... her generation still did that sort of thing.  Unfortunately our generation has pretty much dropped that lovely tradition.

When I bake, it's cookies for the cookie jar, muffins and loaves - nothing wrong with that and I have noticed that if I do bake a cake, I always seem to choose one without icing - like my Zucchini cake.

So why break my own tradition...

I was paging through the little community cookbook "COOKING FAVORITES OF PLUMAS"  and I stumbled upon what I would consider to be a perfect cake - especially for this time of year.

I haven't made this one yet - but I am going to, just as soon as I can get my hands on some cherry pie filling.

So here you go  - this week's recipe...

CHERRY CRUMB CAKE

1 cup white sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup salad oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup milk

or if you don't have cream use 3/4 cup milk and 1 tbsp of butter

Mix dry ingredients and add the remaining ingredients.  Pour into a buttered and floured pan.  It doesn't say what size but does say it makes the size of a jelly roll pan, so I would use whatever you would normally use for a sheet cake pan.

Layer 1 can of cherry pie filling over the batter.

TOPPING:
1/2 cup butter,
3/4/ cup sugar
3/4/cup flour.

Make into a crumb mixture and spread over the cherry filling.

Bake 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

I am pretty sure I have eaten this cake at some Aunt's home over the years - it sounds so familiar, so I am anxious to try it out, and see if it is as good as my memory tells me it is.

If you try this one, let me know how you liked it.


Happy Baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...