Wednesday, August 22, 2018

CRAZY FOR BAKER CREEK!

I am really looking forward to next year's gardening season for many reasons, but in a lot of ways it will all be an experiment to me - well the vegetable garden portion of it, will be.

I have never grown a garden in a raised bed, and I have never grown vertically.  I've seen it done, but always in someone else's garden - never mine.

I always grow the same varieties of tomatoes, and beans, beets - well everything, actually.  But next year I am going to shake it up a bit.  I am going to step out of my comfort box and really try and get creative and adventurous.

I have found a seed company that deals strictly in Heirloom seeds, and they have so many different things to try, that I want to try them all in one year - But I won't.

Here are some of the things I will be trying next year.

Chinese Noodle Beans - they come in both red and green are supposed to be delicious!



Kajari Melon


Collective Farm Woman Melon



Lemon Summer squash
Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop summer squash



Purple Coban Tomatillo


Sweet Corbaci Peppers


Aunt Molly's ground Cherry




These are the only things I have decided on yet - but several new varieties of tomatoes will be added to the list, as well as some new flower seeds and maybe some herbs.

Is it any wonder I am excited about putting seeds in the soil next year?

Are you looking for some inspiration for your garden next year - check out this company.  They ship seeds world wide.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

In the meantime, I am saving my own seeds from things that I really liked this year.  I have seed heads drying all over the house.  On the piano, in the spare bedroom, on my kitchen desk.


 



  Varieties include, Calendula, Cosmos, and my gorgeous Zinnia's that have been a real show stopper of colour this year.  

I have never grown Zinnia's in my garden before, and I think I will never have a garden without them, again.   They are bright, they fill a space and they just keep going from early summer to fall - even in a drought.  They were by far this years' success story.

So this year instead of crocheted snowflakes, some folks may be getting seeds in the their Christmas Cards!

That's me - always looking ahead...

Till next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...