Tuesday, August 7, 2018

LET THE POTAGER BEGIN!

After I posted my blog last Thursday, I went out to the garden to get some work done.  I was able to spend most of the day in the garden and I began work in earnest on my Potager idea.

I have started with a small area of the garden that used to be mostly wildflowers.  I do love the wildflowers and I will start them again, but in a much more appropriate place than they were before.

I cleaned the wildflowers out last fall, and this year have used the bed as sort of a nursery to start new perennials, herbs and things.  At times the bed has been been full, and then when I remove the young plants for other areas, it is empty.

I had started my tea garden there in spring, but the weeds were so bad that it all but choked the delicate young seedlings, especially the Chamomile, so I moved them elsewhere.

Now I have moved them and the mint back to this area, and hopefully it can grow into a really good  and established herb/flower bed .

I love how it looks right now... herbs, perennials, annuals and one volunteer sunflower ( probably because I had the bird feeder there last winter and was feeding black sunflower seeds all winter to my feathered friends.


The front of the bed


The back of the bed ( so far)
 


 I love how this sunflower just wormed it's way into things... Brilliant!


This is so how I love my gardens to be - semi-organized but always allowing room for Mother Nature's help with planting, however the seeds may get there... 

This week I will start removing some things from the vegetable garden, but here again, there is always a surprise or two waiting for me...

Like these darlings - I almost pulled them out when I was weeding...  Most people would, I know, but when I see these, I am back to being a child sitting on the grass playing with my bride doll.  These were her bouquets... 

Never could I destroy these little wonders that the Bees also love so very much  - so yes - out comes the Portulaca... but the Clover stays!


So I took a few minutes to take in some of my beauties with the camera.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.








Another surprise - purple pole beans from bush beans!

Look closely - there is a sewing machine in there...


Some plans tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...