Monday, August 20, 2018

I FEEL A RANT COMING ON!

Last week, a friend of mine was threatened on social media for sharing an opinion on an article she read on a news feed.  This friend is an mature, educated, responsible and kind person.  She is not a person who attacks others, is mean to others, or causes others trouble in any way.  But like most of us - she has her own opinion on things, and she simply shared her opinion on the subject matter.

For that she was publicly chastised and threatened in a way that caused her much stress and concern.

How does this happen?  It's not okay to have an opinion on something, but it is perfectly okay to publicly (and I say publicly because the venue was social media) threaten someone in a way that could truly harm their livelihood?

How did we get this way - where only one voice is the correct voice; only one opinion matters?   Who gave people the right to threaten others who had a different opinion than theirs?
There is no such thing as a Diverse opinion anymore, it seems.

We are told how we must think, feel and be - by our peers, our schools, our politicians, and sometimes having a Diverse opinion seems to be cause for public humiliation and shame, as in the case of my dear friend.

Funny that word Diverse - from which we get the word Diversity - the word we hear everyday on the news or in the newspapers - the word we are told we must all accept and practice.

I personally have nothing against the word, or it's meaning - I learned both many years ago as a child at school... it's the warped interpretation of the word by individuals that don't care of it's meaning, but only use the word as a tool to get what they want - that's what really bothers me!

So let's do it -lets go back to school on the word - Diversity!

Check it out - the Winston Dictionary that we were given in grade school - I still have one!



It was published in 1954 - one year before I was born... It's Ancient!



- this dictionary that myself and anyone older and at least 10 years younger than me would have been taught the meaning of words from this book... it says Diversity means: difference; variety;




Dictionary. com says this:   ( note "diversity of opinion" - on the first line) .... hmmm that's interesting!

Diversity | Define Diversity at Dictionary.com

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/diversity

the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness: diversity of opinion. variety; multiformity. the inclusion of individuals representing more than one national origin, color, religion, socioeconomic stratum, sexual orientation, etc.: diversity in the workplace.


So - pretty much the same basic meaning for the word - or have I not read that correctly?
You know - maybe I should step up to the times, who the heck still uses the Winston Dictionary any more, except me?

So I went one more step to Wiktionary  -  and I got this!  Hope you can read this.

It says - the quality of being diverse or different; difference or unlikeness.




We've all got this now - I think!  

But the truth of the matter was my friend's comment was not diverse in any way.  She was stating the obvious, and it was purposely taken out of context by someone who saw an opportunity to use it against her.  The Troll mentality  - Armchair Warriors who do not have the mindset to sit down and use their own words to write their own thoughts in an article or a post - but have no difficulty tearing apart other's words, just because they feel the need to put people in their places.   There is a word for them as well.

BULLIES!

Ah now, here is something I know an awful lot about - bet you all do as well.  They are everywhere, child bullies, teen bullies, and the worse bullies of all - Adult bullies!

Childhood bullies are bad - but adult bullies can take you out.  They can ruin your life, your happiness and your livelihood.  . Maybe that is why this incidence has flared my distaste, so much.  My friend's bully threatened to have her fired from her job - this struck a cord with me. 

 I lost the final position in my career because of a bully just like this.   A person I worked with, whom I thought was my friend, fabricated lies, twisted my words, and presented me in a way to people who did not know me, but who had authority over my position, because I refused to join a conspiracy to oust our manager, whom this person had a personal vendetta against.

The bully succeeded in her mission - I lost my job.

 - - -

When my son was very young, there was a child in our apartment complex, a little girl, who was constantly terrorizing the small children.  She particularly loved to torment my son, who was always friendly, happy, quiet.  One day while they were playing outside, she took something of his that he dearly loved, and she threw it into the garbage dumpster.   We had always taught our son, that every action (good or bad) had a consequence ( good or bad).  So I asked her to retrieve the article she had thrown in the dumpster and give it back to our son.  I did not yell, I did not touch or threaten the child in any way - I just stood firm beside the dumpster and waited.  It took awhile and she was visibly upset by the time she had retrieved and returned my son's belonging - but she righted her wrong, and we thanked her for it.

Not 5 minutes later her mother was pounding my door down, screaming and yelling at the top of her lungs.  She pushed her way into our home, called me every name in the book, and then threatened to 1. report me to the police 
2. report me to child and family services as an unfit mother, so I would loose my child.

Words of terror for any Mother to hear, and yes - I was afraid.  But I also recognized  her daughter;s behaviour in her.  They both were bullies.  So I took a chance.  I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and I wrote my full name, address and phone number down, and handed her the paper.  My words to her were  - if you are going to do that - here is the information you need - I'd hate for you to get it wrong and someone else be in trouble with the authorities because of my actions.

I never saw the woman again, or her child either for that matter.  The authorities never called or came to my door.  And I truly hope that her daughter learned a little about the consequences of one's actions from me, and that she took that with her wherever she is now.

 - - -



And so - this is our society, it seems.  We demand Diversity, but we don't allow it.  We practice Diversity - and we are either not believed or we are bullied.  The Bullies usually win, and the circle repeats itself.

How sad a society we truly are.

So - To my friend -  share your opinions, your insight, your feelings and your wisdom.  Those that truly know you - will listen - those that don't..... ah heck - you don't need them anyway!  Keep being the person you are.  

And that's all any one of us can really do...




for the record... (disclaimer)
This post and the words I have written here belong to me, and No One else.  
This is MY Diverse Opinion.











2 comments:

  1. Good for you Dale, I agree with your article 100% and its time we step up for those adults that are being bullied. Because it's the right thing to do. It's inspiring to see RESPECT in action.

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...