Friday, June 15, 2018

IS THE MYSTERY SOLVED, AND THE LADIES OF SUMMER...

Well, here we are, another Friday and another week done.  It doesn't have quite the same meaning as it did when I was a working gal - but then, who said I am no longer a working gal!

I have already finished my first month at the Post Office - crazy as that seems!  I have tons of work still to do in the yard - and I always will have - and this week I have spent considerable time working upstairs in the studio!

No wonder the week flew by!

First thing I want to mention is unbeknown to me (until yesterday, later in the day) another friend, a newer one also had a birthday... remember the lady with the sheep farm I wrote about? - so belated Happy Birthday Diana.


Second order of business is the rather amazing discussion I have had this week from some readers about my little rescued painting.

Sue wrote:
Dale, I wanted to comment on your blog post re: the painting but the computer (my Kindle) simply wouldn't let me. (It does have a mind of its own!) I read the date as "1923 " and googled "Oliver Wheeler 1923". Came up in Wikipedia right off. Right time period, Canadian surveyor; Was also a member of the Alpine Club in his later years.


Laurie Wrote:Beautiful picture Dale. It could also say from Wardens cabin. Hope you solve your mystery.

Loretta Wrote:
Hi Dale; I read your blog post about the pretty painting. I was intrigued by Corner Brook Road and Googled it and only came up with NL so I opened Google Maps and put the name of the road in and found a Corner Brook Rd in Harrison OH:





How wonderful that this post struck such interest with my readers.

I have one more thing to add.  Yesterday when I was at Uniques and Antiques, I mentioned to Louise that I need to find a frame for my picture.  Louise then tells me that maybe my painting is of one of the Warden's cabins up on 19.   Hwy 19 is a gravel road just a few miles from here that leads up to the East Gate of the Riding Mountain National Park.  Apparently there are not one, but two old log Warden's cabins on that road.

That would certainly explain why the painting was found in this community, as we are closely associated with the park.

Could it be that in 1953, or 1923, Oliver Wheeler from Ohio was visiting the Riding Mountain National park and came across a quaint little log Warden's cabin and decided to draw it.  He then gifted his painting to the person he was visiting who lived in our around our town.  Perhaps that person has passed and their family were clearing out belongings, and so they donated it to the recycle place in town.

Or Maybe it's Grey Owl's cabin!

Have we solved the mystery?

Maybe, Maybe not - 
Perhaps this mystery is not ours to solve after all.  But it sure has been fun trying!
Thank You for interest in my little mystery!

As the title says, I was going to also introduce you to the "Ladies of Summer",
but I have quite run out of time.  I have jars sterilized waiting for another double batch of Rhubarb marmalade this morning, so I had better get to it.
The Ladies will have to wait until next week!

Have a safe and happy weekend, whatever you may be doing - have fun doing it!

Until next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...