Wednesday, June 13, 2018

LET'S TALK ANTS!

What?  You'd rather not talk ants?

At some time or another, everyone must deal with ants.  You know the creepy little pesky insects, that are everywhere outside, and maybe for some, even inside your home.

Do you think maybe you got a better understanding of them after watching the Disney movie about them?  Cute movie - but I still don't like the pesky things, especially when them make huge hills and destroy my lawn and gardens.

Okay, so yes - they do have their uses... where would Peonies be without them?  But that's the only tolerance I have for them.

Why all this talk about ants?

Because after struggling to rid my yard of some mighty big hills, one right in the middle of my strawberry bed, for example - I have finally found a way to get rid of them!

I have tried commercial ant sprays - didn't work or if it did, it required many reapplications and necessitated it never rain again.... ever!

I have tried boiling water - Okay, just want to say - that was gross - and it killed my lawn...

The trick is Borax!

Yes Borax.

Here's how you make your trap:

In a disposable plastic water mix 1 part Borax to 5 parts sugar, ( I used a teaspoon) add a tiny bit of water to make a paste.  Shake it all up really well until the Borax and sugar is dissolved!

Cut a tiny hole somewhere on the bottle so the ants can get it.  Set it wherever you see ants, and you will see them in the bottle, and then you won't see them anywhere.

Make sure the hole is small - you don't want it large enough for a Bee or a Hummer to get in it.

When I placed mine on the ground I placed the hole as close to the ground without actually being on the ground.

Here is the trap I placed in my strawberry patch - don't know if you can make it out - but it is pretty much full of dead ants... yuk!  But proof, that it works!  Yeah!



It is the best ant trap ever,  the sugar draws them in, and the Borax finishes them off.

The huge hill is gone from my strawberry patch and now I am working on the other two hills in my yard.

Borax is sold is quite a large box, you can use it in your laundry or for cleaning around the house, but I would advise ask your family or friends if anyone has any before you buy it, and just borrow a bit from them, unless you have use for a whole box.

If you are using this trap inside, as always, be mindful of pets and little children and place the trap where it will not come in contact with either.

So if you have ants - give it a try - of all the remedies I have read about - this one works!




No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...