Thursday, June 7, 2018

RECIPE THURSDAY AND MORE INDOOR FUN!

Before I share this week's recipe with you, I want to show you what I have been doing in my garden and kitchen.

Already a harvest and  we are barely into June!

 The Rhubarb is ready and I have been picking it for the past couple of days.

I moved my Rhubarb patch from the front garden to the back garden last year, and I thought I had completely dug it from the front bed- but apparently I did not.  Both the front patch and the back patch are giving me lots of fresh rhubarb, and so I have been making Rhubarb/Strawberry/Pineapple Marmalade ( you can find the recipe here on my blog - just look under the label section on the main page).

I ran out of Strawberry Jello for the second batch so used Raspberry jello instead... amazing taste!

While I was at it I made some cutesy little labels, because nothing irritates me more than trying to get sticky labels off of jars!

Hope to get a lot more of this made before the Rhubarb is finished for the season!




So I was thinking about what kind of recipe I should share this week.  I love the Ooey - Gooey desserts just like everyone else, but really I think we as a whole are not doing ourselves any favours indulging in these decadent treats.  And it seems to me they just keep getting more and more so all the time.  Quite frankly the older I get the less I like over-sweet treats.

But still it is very nice to sit outside in the afternoon under the table umbrella or in the shade somewhere quiet and have a cup of tea and something nice to go with it.   Something light, but with a little sweet - something summery... something you could even take on a picnic.

And most likely something that none of us has made or tasted in a very long time, but if we had, we would have thought ... AWE.... I remember that... So Good!





Jelly Roll

3 eggs
1 cup (scant) sugar
2 tablespoons milk
 1 cup flour
 2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
grated rind of 1/2 lemon or orange

jelly or jam ( room temperature)


Sift and measure flour and re-sift it when salt and baking powder added.  Beat eggs until they are very thick and pale yellow. Gradually beat in sugar, milk and flavouring (lemon juice).  Fold into flour mixture, gradually cutting and folding but not beating.

Grease a long shallow pan ( cookie sheet is the best), or line a cookie sheet with wax paper.  Pour batter in pan -  batter should not be more than a 1/4 inch deep.

Bake 12 minutes at 325-350 degrees, watching closely as it bakes quickly.

Remove from oven and turn onto a clean cloth/ towel, quickly cut off the side crusts, spread with softened jam or jelly and roll quickly.  Wrap in cloth to keep in shape.

Work quickly or cake will crack.

When cake has cooled, remove wrap and slice thinly...

Brew your favourite tea or coffee, grab your sunhat and your favourite lawn chair, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...