Thursday, May 3, 2018

MARINATED VEGETABLES AND HERB-CHEESE BISCUITS!

It's Recipe Thursday, and today I have not one, but two recipes to share with you.

 My Aunt Olga Rossnagel prepared the first recipe many times for us during our many visits to the farm.  The recipe tastes like something you would find in any fine dining establishment - it is that good - and better yet - it is so simple to make.

I decided to add another recipe today to compliment the first recipe... the two combined is my idea of a perfect light lunch...  I hope you agree.

Today we will be making a light lunch of Marinated Mixed Vegetables, and Herb-Cheese Biscuits.


Aunt Olga's Marinated Vegetables.

In a ice cream pail (or very large bowl) prepare the following:
Wash, and cut/chop

I head of Broccoli 
I head Cauliflower
6-8 large Carrots
1- 2 large onions  of your choice ( Red, Yellow or Spanish)
1 bunch of Celery

1 bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing

You can add whatever raw vegetable you desire to this mixture, bearing in mind this mixture will be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week - so you won't want to use anything that will go mushy.  I often add cherry tomatoes if I know I am making this for a large gathering.

Stir mixture together, and add 1 full bottle of  Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing.  Mix well, put a lid on the pail and place in the fridge.
( best to make 1 day before you want to eat it)... stir it a few times during the day, and always stir before serving.

Stores for up to a week in the fridge.

I guarantee, you won't be able to get enough of these veggies, once you taste them.


 Ruth's Herb-Cheese Biscuits
(Ruth Agee Ekstrom, Bittersweet Herb Farm)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon each: dried marjoram;
parsley; oregano; thyme
1/2 cup shredded brick or cheddar cheese
5 tablespoons soft butter
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450F.  Mix flours, baking powder,
herbs and cheese in a large bowl with a fork.

Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the 
mixture forms coarse crumbs.

Add the milk and stir until mixture clings together.  
If too dry, add a bit more milk.

Form the dough into a ball, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead gently, not more than 5 turns of the dough.

Roll out to a 1/2 in thickness, and cut with a biscuit cutter or a glass.
Place on baking sheet 1 inch apart .
Bake for 12-15 minutes.


I hope you get a chance to try these two recipes.  The vegetables are perfect anytime as a salad, served on a bed of lettuce, or as a side when you are having a BBQ.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...