Wednesday, May 2, 2018

A WALK WITH FRIENDS!

When you move away from a place you have always lived to a new place where you don't know a soul, you often wonder if you will be accepted by the locals, if you will make friends, if people will find something about you that will make them even want to be their friend.

These feelings are quite normal, I suspect - but somehow, without even realizing it - you do make friends and you forget that you haven't always lived in this new place you now live.

I first heard about Diana and her sheep farm on my 60th birthday.  My son was out from Winnipeg, and I was outside on our back lawn unwrapping a huge gift Jon had brought me for my birthday.  It was a spinning wheel, and I was so crazy excited to finally have a wheel, that I'm sure I was giddy.

A couple were walking past our house and stopped to watch me unwrap my gift - I didn't know them, we had only lived in the community a short time.  When they saw what was under the wrapping paper, and heard me say that all I needed to do was find some wool - they told me that there was a sheep farm about 4 miles down the road from my house, and they told me the owner's name.

We did go to the farm and I got some wool roving - and then my friendship with Diana grew on face book.  I was very interested in her farm, her sheep, her wool, and so when she posted, I commented.  I discovered we share the love of knitting and creating things with our hands.  We actually think alike on many issues - we have the same values of family, community, and even though we don't attend the same one - church!

When we went out to the farm last week, it was not just to see the sheep and the lambs, but it was also to see a family.

And I have to tell you about this family.

Do you remember the days when your whole family went visiting another family - and that whole family was present for the visit?  Do you remember a time when late teen and adult children still living at home were just as eager to welcome visitors as their parents?

I do remember those days - but quite frankly its a very dim memory.

So - here we are, it's a Friday evening.  A  21 yr old and 19 yr old child are home for the weekend from school in the city.  They probably haven't been out with their friends in awhile - and the Stanley Cup playoffs are on with our team playing in the second round of playoffs - game 1.  Several pretty good reasons for them to be absent from home.

Not so...

Not only were they present - they were with us in the sheep paddock and when the photo shoot was over they stayed and visited right up until the moment we left for home... and what really blew me away - I didn't see a cell phone the whole time!  I cannot tell you how refreshing that was!

Katie, and Adam - you are amazing young people...  thank you for sticking around for our visit.

As wonderful as the lambs and the sheep were, the best part of our evening was visiting, telling stories and sharing our lives with each other -  with our friends... it is after all, what real friends do.

A great evening, a great farm, and great people...




 A Farmer, A Shepherd, A Flock and a Cow!



What a Great Walk This Was!


No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...