Thursday, April 19, 2018

THE BEST CLASSIC CHOPPED SALAD!

I promised you a recipe every Thursday for the foreseeable future.

This one is a new one I tried this week for the first time.

We were invited to our neighbours last evening for dinner.  I offered to bring something, and was asked to bring a salad.

At first I thought I would just bring a regular tossed salad, or a Caesar Salad - but that is same old, same old - so to Pinterest I went.

I choose a salad called  "The Best Classic Chopped Salad"  posted by Melanie F. of nutritiouseats.com .

It's a bit more time consuming to make than a regular salad - but well worth the time and effort that goes into making it.  If you have to take a salad to a Pot Luck or just want a nice dinner salad, that you could use as an entry itself - here's the one to try.



2 Romaine ( 8-10 cups finely shredded/chopped)
3/4 cup diced tomatoes (or 1 cup grape tomatoes)
1/2 cup finely diced red onion ( or 1/4 of a medium onion)
2 avocados, small dice
3 hard boiled eggs, fine chopped
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese

5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
a few tablespoons of Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing


Combine all ingredients in a large bowl ( Romaine through blue cheese).  When ready to serve, stir in Bacon and toss with dressing.  You will have left over dressing.


Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing:

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon honey or Agave
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a jar combine balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.  Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking with a small whisk.  Place on lid and shake well until combined.  Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.

Shake well before using.

NOTES:
I couldn't find any Blue cheese in the smaller country stores out here, so I substituted Herbed Garlic Feta cheese, and I did buy an avocado, even chopped it up, but made the mistake of popping it in my mouth to try it - and the rest went in the trash... for some reason I really don't like them.  I find them tasteless and mushy...

I made the Balsamic vinegar dressing but found it a bit strong, and because this salad was intended for a family including 4 little boys ages 3-8, I did not toss the salad ahead of time.

Instead I took along a some Creamy Poppyseed ( for the boys) and some Greek with feta, for the adults.

The salad was amazing, my huge bowl of salad vanished - everyone loved it.



Special thanks to nutritiouseats.com  for the recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...