Thursday, September 28, 2017

IN LOVE WITH AN ANGEL!

A quick note on yesterday's post.
I apologize for the errors in my poem - auto correct is so frustrating, and it's really hard to catch things when your emotions are swept away with your words to the point you can't see clearly through your very own tears.

But everything is corrected now, including the totally inaccurate description of Batman as the Black Knight.  He is in fact the Dark Knight - and if anyone should know this, it should be the Mother of a son who has loved everything to do with Batman all his life.  I am so proud that I actually caught that mistake all on my own, before Jonathan did.  He would have never let me live it down, for sure!



Back to today's post...

I had set this week aside to complete items for my sale that I have started and not quite finished.

For instance, when I make mug rugs, I cut out and applique many at at time, that way I am not always having to change settings on my sewing machine, or switch my iron ( I have one that is very gucked up that I use for applique).

So I end up with 30 mug rugs, that are really not yet mug rugs, they are the top half of the mug rug.  I still have to cut backs and batting, sew them together and then quilt them.

Monday I sewed all the backs and put the batting in all the mug rugs I have been designing, and all that is left to do is to quilt them.  I had intended on doing that on Tuesday, and getting them out of my way.
But in the morning I didn't feel like mug rugs, so instead I worked on a very large angel - my denim angel.  I started her over a month ago, making her body, legs and arms and I cut out her wings.

After I gathered up all her pieces I got an idea... Because she is made almost entirely of denim, I decided to make a lace cover for the front of her wings, so I crazy quilted scraps of laces and trims until I had pieces large enough to cover the denim.  Her wings turned out better than I imagined.  I am so happy with them.

I put her legs and arms on her body and started to dress her.  Her body forms her shirt, so I didn't have to sew a dress, just a piece for her skirt.  I added some more lace to her body, and around her waist. and made a denim flower for her waist.

She needed hair - and I wanted long hair that I could braid.  I remember watching my mother make doll wigs for my cloth dolls when I was small, so I thought - why not try it and see if it works.

I had a ball of reddish mohair, so I cut many long lengths and sewed them together down the middle with the sewing machine, it was so easy I did two sections so she could have lovely thick hair.  I glued her wig onto her head and then braided it - it too, turned out better than I imagined!

Her wings went on next, some accessories, like a tiny little vintage butterfly barrette on one of her pigtails, a little braid around her wrists, some laces for her boots, and she was almost done.

All that is left is to give her a face.  Because a face can either make or break a cloth doll, I am leaving that until I am in the mood to paint...

I am going to sell her - but she's not going cheap.  This is a one of a kind angel.  I am in fact rather in love with her myself.  She is an item I would love to give as a special gift to someone I love, and I might change my mind and do that in the end.

Here is she - still without expression on her face - but really cute in every other way.









1 comment:

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...