Wednesday, September 27, 2017

HEROES


Yesterday was a very special little boy's 11th birthday.  He started his day in bed vomiting and with a severe headache, much like he starts every day.  Without being told, I know his Mom gave him some Gravol to ease the nausea, and probably some pain medication as well.  He ended up sleeping until the mid afternoon, when he woke up asking for his Birthday supper and his cake.

His mother spent her day being angry and upset, having to see her little boy spend a second birthday in such condition, knowing that perhaps he may spend yet a couple more this way as well.

This little boy, is our beloved Thomas, who is now in his 14th month fighting childhood leukemia.  He's had a cruel and heartbreaking journey so far, and  the longer he travels this road, the harder it seems to become for him and his family.

He should have been at school, he should have been playing soccer at recess with his friends, he should have been able to come home from school with rosy cheeks from a day of suppressed excitement to an evening of birthday celebrations with his family.

Instead he got frequent worried kisses to his brow from his family throughout the day as he slept off his medications.

It's heartbreaking for us who watch this family travel this journey together, this family who are our family, our loved ones, our kin.  It's heartbreaking, and it's frustrating because we want to do something to help - but there is nothing we can do, but pray, and watch and listen, and be there for our loved ones.

I am frustrated because I live so far away - too far to be able to offer my care, to give my niece a day off, to put my own kiss on Thomas' precious brow.

As I worked in my studio yesterday, my thoughts were constantly on this family, on Thomas.  I didn't even realize that I had begin to put together thoughts and words in my head until I went to bed and those thoughts and words fell in line and made perfect sense.

So Thomas, I am a day late, but this is for you, my sweet sweet HERO.

Auntie loves you so very much... I hope today is a better day for you....

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!




HEROES
A poem for Thomas


I don’t believe in Heroes,
I once heard someone say:
They’re fake, they’re fads, myths and more,
They don’t exist today.

Maybe they thought of caped crusaders.
Whose powers have no end.
Face mask wearing, flying wonders,
Shooting webs from their arms like pens.

My Heroes capes are blankets,
And their face masks help them breathe,
Their veins shoot plastic tubing,
Filled with drugs they really need.

Some of my Heroes have no hair,
And some of them can’t walk.
Some of them are so very sick,
They can barely even talk.

My Heroes are just children,
Fighting evil with all their might.
Their courage and strength far outweigh
Some fictional, magic, Dark Knight.

My Hero is a boy named Thomas.
Who just turned 11 today.
He’s the one I believe in,
He’s for which I pray.

Heroes really do exist,
You see that one was wrong,
They’re out there fighting every day,
And they are millions strong.

Dale Graumann
2017

-->



2 comments:

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...