Wednesday, September 6, 2017

CRAVING A RUEBLE?

Have you ever had a craving for something you ate as a young person - something that was prepared by someone special, in a place that is now a memory - one you now hold dear to your heart?

This happens to me periodically, and usually the dish I am craving is something that my Mother made in our kitchen at home.  Her  "Rueble" soup - comes to mind.  Okay - so "Rueble "is the pronunciation of the word for this mostly milk soup.  The correct spelling is a German word - so you can take your clue from there.

"Rueble" soup was my comfort food growing up.  It was boiled milk with some butter in it, with the little rubbery "Ruebles" floating in it that Mom made from flour and egg... sort of lumpy noodle blobs.  I am not doing it any justice at all - but it was my favourite food growing up.  I have tried making it myself, but it's one of those things that never quite measures up to one's memories!

This summer, I had a memory of Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, that my Aunt Olga made in her kitchen on the farm.  A conversation I had with her while visiting her at the nursing home here in town, might have initiated the craving.  We and a few other elderly residents were talking about cooking and baking.  Most of these women were farm wives, and they spent a lot of time in the kitchen making wonderful meals for their hard working families and friends.

For some reason this chocolate cookie popped into my head.  I was there the day she tried the recipe out for the first time.  She wasn't too sure about them, but they vanished as fast as they hit the plate.

I knew she had given me the recipe at some point, so I went looking through my recipes.

I will admit, my recipes are a disgrace.  I have no order, no system.  I have copies, hand written, torn from magazines, tucked here and there in any one of my 40 some recipe books.  Its a mess, and on this particular day -  a major frustration.

But eventually - I found the little scrap of paper with the insurance agent header on it, that she had given me to write the recipe on, while she dictated it to me.


Out came the ingredients and within an hour I had a double batch baked and sitting on my bread board.

Oh My Gosh!  As good as I remember?  I kid you not!

"Gotta save this one for a blog",  said I.   Good thing for you, I posted this picture on Facebook and someone asked for the recipe, because I typed it and saved it on the computer... otherwise this post would not be.  It seems I have already misplaced the original hand-written recipe.

So I'll shut up now, and let you get your ingredients out.  Wouldn't it be awesome to have a plate of these to greet the kids home after their first day of school today?   Hubby home from work?  Your neighbour over for tea?  Okay - never mind that - lets just go for a cookie jar full of these sitting on your counter.... you won't be sorry... except after a week of these when you can't get into your jeans!

But do enjoy.... won't you!





Aunt Olga’s Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

2 c sugar
¾ c vegetable oil
¾ c cocoa
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/3 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
 ½ tsp salt
powdered sugar (optional)

in a large bowl mix sugar and oil together. And cocoa, blending well.
Beat in eggs and vanilla

Stir flour, baking powder and salt together  add to cocoa mixture, blending well.

Cover and refrigerate overnight or until dough is firm enough to handle

 Heat oven to 350 F.  Grease cookie sheet shape dough into 1 “ balls and roll in powdered sugar (I omitted this stage)

Bake  12-14 minutes  tops will be cracked.

Makes 4 doz

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...