Monday, May 2, 2011

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM GRAUMANN

My mother-in-law Olga, passed away on Thursday April 28.  Even though we had been expecting the end to be near, when it came, it felt totally unexpected.  I don't know if that was because we haven't seen her for a year, and so didn't really see her decline, or if it is just the mind's way of prolonging what we know is inevitable.


This post is for her.



She was born April 8th, 1923.  She was the youngest daughter of a family of 6.  She had 4 sisters and 1 brother.  She lived in Chicago her whole life.  She married Barth Graumann in 1945 and they had 2 children; a daughter Jane, and a son Gary.

I could tell you more of this kind of information, but what I really want this post to be about is the woman I knew and loved - the woman I have known as "Mom" for the past 26 yrs.

The first time I met "Mom" was in 1980, when she and Gary drove to Canada to see my parents.  Olga and my mother had been acquaintances as young girls.   My mother's oldest sister lived next door to Olga's family and when they came home to see my grandparents one summer, they brought Olga along on the trip - and there started a life-long friendship.

The first thing I noticed about Olga was that she wore makeup (my mom didn't) and she was dressed as if she was going somewhere special.  Her hair was dyed and styled and she looked incredible for a woman her age.  The second thing I discovered was that she was friendly, nice and a lot of fun to be with.

Over the years as I got to know her better as a daughter-in-law, I discovered the real woman who was Olga Graumann.

She loved her children more than anything, even though she was capable of making their lives miserable from time to time.  Her grandchildren were her most special accomplishment.  She carried a purse full of pictures and memorabilia devoted to her grandchildren and other family members - but mostly her grandchildren, and later her great-grandchildren.

She loved the movies.  She thought nothing of going to the matinee on a Sunday afternoon by herself, if she couldn't find someone to go with her - she went for the thrill of watching Hollywood in all it's glory- and later when she could no longer get to the movie theater, she'd rent movies and watch them on her TV at home.  Often when we would call her the first thing she would say to Gary would be - "See any good movies, Gar?"

She loved restaurants - maddening so!  She knew more great eating places than anyone I've ever known.  She wasn't overly fussy about the menu - but she liked the family-style restaurants the best.  Surprisingly enough, a simple hot dog was her favorite food.  It used to make me chuckle when we would discuss an event such as a wedding, her first question was not what everyone wore, but what was served for the meal!

She was generous - so very very generous.  If she had five dollars left until payday and she thought you needed it more than her - it was yours.  She didn't really have money to share - but she did anyway, often times going without herself, I suspect.

She loved big cars.  She thought it was a real indication of someones status if they owned a Lincoln or a Caddy.

She loved music - polkas and hymns were her preference... but Edelweiss was her favorite song.  When she visited us she would end every night with a little game.  We lived in an apartment at the time and when everyone was in bed and all was quiet, she would call out one of our names and when we answered she's sing "Seventy-six Trombones" from the Music Man - and we'd all crack up.

That was the "Mom" I knew and loved.  I can't imagine how we will get on without her - but we will, because we have some pretty great memories of times spent with her.

I will be forever grateful that she considered me a daughter, that she gave of herself so completely and that she loved us all with all her heart - for that is the basis of life.  Love.

Rest in everlasting Peace, Mom.  I love you.

This is for you Mom... I know you are listening!






























3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to read of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so very sorry to learn of this. You made her special to us all and y'alls loss will be ours well. Prayers to all

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful tribute, Dale. I know she's appreciating it. Hope your trip to Chicago has gone smoothly and you will have safe travels as you head home. You and Gary have tons of memories to chat about for years to come.

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...