Sunday, May 15, 2011

Daisy Making Mama...

Awhile back I mentioned that I was crocheting squares for some afghans for our niece's children.  Two afghans are for girls so I thought I would try and use the daisy loom my aunt gave me last year and see if I could somehow incorporate a daisy into the square.

It actually worked out better than I expected and was able to work my favorite granny square around it perfectly.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of one of the squares.

The outer loops of the daisy(white) are actually under the yellow loops - they are the loops I used to form the granny square.  If I was just making daisies and attaching them together to form a "daisy" afghan, these outer loops would be much more visible.  For these daisies I used all 3 sets of pegs on the loom.

It is fun varying the colors of the petals, but I did find, the more color variation the harder it was to keep all the loops on the pegs.

There really is a method to the technique, one has to be fairly co-ordinated, especially when working on the inner pegs.  As you wind around the inner pegs the outer loops tend to want to slip off the outer pegs.

 This one I used one color for all three rows of pegs and the flower looks very fluffy and much larger, even though it isn't.
This one has three different colors - each row of pegs a different color was used.  It's a pretty neat way to use up smaller scraps of yarn.

I have enough squares done for one afghan, and I am continuing on with the second set of squares.  The Afghan I am making for the boy will be earth tone colors - greens, browns, beige's, maybe some red and orange, and the squares will have appliques on them of Boy things, like frogs, fish, dragons, owls... that sort of thing.

Hopefully I will be able to get these finished soon so that the children can use their blankets on their beds at the cottage this summer.

I am going to try my hand at making a tutorial.. never done one before, but thought it would be neat on the daisy loom flowers.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...