Thursday, June 15, 2017

LIFE IN 1959, ACCORDING TO THE EATON'S CATALOGUE!

I am going to start this post off by showing you that the Tajmahal look is gone from my living room.  I was able to get some nice drapes that I can live with, that also block the west sun from this window.


Much better, don't you think?



I found another gem at the recycle store the same day I found the knitting machines.  Just as I was walking out the door, I looked down in a box and there lay this precious piece of Canadian history!
I couldn't leave it there, before I even opened it I knew I would be sharing some of it with you!



A 1959 Eaton's Spring and Summer Catalogue! 


I now see why people used to read the catalogue so studiously!  

I thought it would be fun to share a glimpse of 1959 over the next few days.  Some of these will bring a chuckle, and if you are my age or older, you most likely will remember things you had long forgotten.

So welcome to 1959!

It was a time of style.  Women wore dresses in and out of the house.  Slacks were not yet popular, and you would never have seem a pair of blue jeans on a woman, unless she was a cow girl.  Sweats?  Don't even got there....

Colours were bright, lots of flowers -  in clothing, draperies, rugs and even linoleum.


I know women who would wear these kinds of shoes today - but they would never get them at this price!


Check out this fabric, and the prices... no wonder so many women sewed back then!

 

Love this last bunch of fabric... flowers, stripes, patterns, solids ... just think of the quilts and mug rugs one could make with this fabric!


Hats were in...

For Women...

 
 And for men...


And even for children!

 


And then, just as today; women worried about their shape and size.  Tomorrow I will show you how they dealt with weight issues in 1959!






No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...