Monday, July 11, 2016

BAD WEEK -- LETS MOVE ON!

I sure am hoping that this week is going to be a lot more uplifting than last week was.  I am praying for no more bad news.  Instead - sunny skies, calm seas, fresh breezes, and lots and lots of love to everyone, everywhere.

One of my oldest and dearest friends is facing cancer again for the 4th time in her life.  She has been cancer free for 4 years, but it is back now and she will be starting chemo treatments this week.  My heart is breaking for her and her husband as they prepare to go through this, yet again.

So please - no one else get sick...

All this cancer talk has deepened my conviction that I need to get healthier myself.  I am a cancer survivor - I know I need to keep myself healthy to stay cancer-free, but I have become complacent.  My thyroid has quit working, so I have gained a lot of weight - that is being corrected, but I don't exercise enough, and since being out here, I have convinced myself that it's okay to eat all the great baking I am doing because I am working it off outside.

I may be working harder than I used to - a form of exercise?  I doubt it -  but I gotta get back on track with my appetite.

I have the best opportunity to eat healthy growing in my yard right now.  Talk about healthy - here it is!

            

Saturday night I decided to make a Zucchini quiche for supper, with a side of salad.  It was delicious, filling - and healthy!


I make my quiche in the microwave.  Seriously - it is so easy and so good, you will never bake one again!

I made a recipe for a double pie crust, and baked it in the quiche dish, and this is the recipe for the quiche I use.

ZUCCHINI QUICHE

2 cups grated unpeeled Zucchini
chopped fresh parsley
chopped fresh garlic chives.

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

3 eggs
3/4 cup light cream or evaporated milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder.

I added some garlic powder instead of onion powder, and some black pepper.


Bake pastry shell as desired - set aside.

Lightly mix zucchini, chives, parsley.  Place in baked pastry shell, top with cheese.

Combine eggs, light cream, salt, onion powder and pour over zucchini filling.

Cook in  microwave, Level 5, for 12-14 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.


I have made this same recipe using salmon instead of zucchini - use 2 cups salmon, drained.  Add 1/2 cup sliced olives for a nice flavour.

This is a lovely light supper, and my family love it!

Yeah - real men DO eat quiche and enjoy it!


I am sorely tempted to bake a zucchini loaf, but for now - the fresh zucchini will be used as a meal ingredient, instead of a baking ingredient - I swear it!







No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...