Sunday, May 29, 2016

RAINY DAYS AND RHUBARB MUFFINS!

We have been socked in with rain and cool weather for what seems like forever, although I don't think it has even been a full week.  I wanted a break from having to be outside working in the yard everyday - now that I have had it -I crave sun and heat, so I can once again be outside.

I have managed to make good use of my indoor time.  I have cleaned the house - yeah, I know!  What's with that?  Chip was so excited to see and hear the vacuum cleaner ( he has a thing for it) when I finally got around to vacuuming the area rugs on the main floor!  I was appalled at the dirt and dust on everything, guess that's what happens when you have your windows open all the time in the country!  But that has all been rectified, my house, except for the kitchen floor which still needs a good on your knees wash, is clean!

I had picked up 5 library books a couple of weeks ago - those are all read and ready to go back, all the plants in the sun room have gotten a much needed wash, yesterday I baked 2 dozen Rhubarb Muffins and 2 Banana Bread Loaves, so I think I am doing very well.

I don't do dull weather well.  I really need sun to get me going, so I am quite proud that I have not caved to the feeling that I really could just crawl back in bed and pull the covers over my head.

Meanwhile, outside the grass is starting to resemble a hay meadow.  Even the areas that we recently seeded are growing and long.  It will be a full day of cutting and trimming when the sun finally does come out.  Gary is fretting because the weed whipper that came with the house is finished.  It was hit and miss last year when we tried to use it, and this year it is dead.  It is one piece of lawn equipment that this yard has to have running.  So tomorrow he is walking down to the fix-it fellow at the end of the street to see if there is anything that can be done with it.  This fellow sometimes has rebuilt ones that he will sell, which we are hoping will be the case, otherwise we will have to take a trip to Dauphin and see what Canadian Tire has.

I noticed yesterday that I have 2 potato plants up, and some of my onions are showing green.  I have already replaced 2 of my bush tomatoes, thanks to cutworms, but it looks like the old trick of adding used coffee grounds and egg shells might have worked, as I have not lost any more tomatoes or marigolds.

My five Rhubarb plants are getting away from me already.  I think I will start cutting some and freezing it, or maybe I will just keep baking.  We have a big freezer so I could do that too.  I tried a new recipe for Rhubarb Muffins and I have to share it with you - it is so good.

I cut back the sugar in the recipe to 1 1/4 cup, and because I didn't want all the extra sugar I didn't make the topping.  The muffin doesn't need the topping at all - it is perfect without it.  I never have buttermilk on hand, I just add a shot of vinegar to the milk I do have.

So give this one a try - I'll be winning to bet it will be added to your favourite muffins after one bite!



RHUBARB MUFFINS.














In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients.  Combine egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in the rhubarb.  Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups about half full.  Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle over each muffin.  Bake at 375 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until muffins test done.





No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...