Sunday, May 22, 2016

AND THEN THERE'S THE COLOUR PURPLE!

My senses are overwhelmed with the glorious colours of spring unfolding!  The vivid greens of new grass and leaves, the whites creams and yellows and pinks of blossoms from fruit trees and now the mauve and purples of Lilacs.  Every week a colour is added, along with a different aroma floating through the air on backs of the gentle breezes.

Of course if you suffer from allergies, all these aromas might become a problem, but they are here for such a short time, I am tempted to load up on antihistamines, just so I can enjoy these treasures of spring!

I was out early this morning and this was my Sunday Morning Harvest.


I have a lot of rhubarb growing out in the garden, but this morning I only cut enough to make a pie for supper tonight, and maybe a dozen muffins or so for the week.

I am going to try this Rhubarb Custard Pie that has been floating around FaceBook this week.  Sounds Yummy!

RHUBARB CUSTARD PIE!
1 -9 inch Pie Crust ( unbaked)
Pie filling
1 1⁄4 cups sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons flour
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
Topping
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup flour
1⁄2 cup butter
1 pinch salt
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.
Stir together the dry ingredients for the filling. Stir in the beaten eggs, then add the chopped rhubarb and mix all together.
Pour into unbaked pie shell.
Topping: Mix together the sugar and flour in a small bowl. Using a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes "crumbly".
Sprinkle topping mixture over the rhubarb filling.
Bake for one hour at 350 degrees F.

I am sorry I have not been around much - but I have been working so hard trying to get my big vegetable garden in before the rains and somewhat cooler weather get here that is predicted for the next few days.

I finally finished planting the last of the garden yesterday, and with that finished, I think I have now completed everything on that first Spring to-do list that I have been stewing about since I first made it in February!



The garden is larger than anything I have ever planted before.  I have planted... Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, corn, three kinds of winter squash, zucchini, carrots, beans, spinach, beets, lettuce, radish, broccoli, pumpkins, asparagus ( which won't be ready to eat for 2 yrs) cucumber, cantaloupe, some sunflowers for the birds, and lots of marigolds and Nasturtiums to keep all the plants happy.  Oh and herbs such as rosemary, lemon grass, parsley, oregano, chives, etc.

I hope it all grows - I will be busy canning and freezing at the end of the summer, if it does.

I also planted a Cherry Tree and still hope to find an apple tree as well.

The plum and Saskatoon trees are finished blooming, so I will be keeping my eyes on them to see if any fruit develops over the next few weeks or so.

So now that we are supposed to have a few rainy days I am looking forward to spending some time in the studio.  I have no idea what I was working on up there - it's been weeks since I spent more than a few minutes there at all.  Looking forward to getting back to some of my projects.

Hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend, enjoy the first long weekend of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...