Monday, May 23, 2016

HAPPY VICTORIA DAY!

Happy Victoria Day to my Canadian readers!  I watched the movie The Young Victoria last evening, and I actually learned a few things about this Queen whom's birthday we celebrate every year.  I didn't realize that she still holds the record for the longest reigning Queen in the British Empire.  Our very own Queen Elizabeth has just celebrated her 50th year as a ruling queen, but Queen Victoria actually reigned for 60 yrs.
Did you know that Queen Victoria had 9 children with her husband, Prince Albert?  He died from Typhoid at the age of 42, but she lived and ruled until she died at 81 yrs of age.

The movie was good, if you have the opportunity to watch it - do so.


Gotta tell you - the Rhubarb pie turned out amazing!


I used the recipe I shared here last yesterday and it was delicious, but a bit too sweet for my liking.  If I make it again I will cut back the sugar in the custard to 1 cup or even to 3/4 cup, then I think it would be perfect.  My cousin sent me her mother's recipe which is a little different, so next time I make it I will try my Aunt Hilda's recipe.  

1 cup Rhubarb
2 eggs
3/4 C sugar
2 tbsp flour
1C thin cream
1 tsp lemon flavour

mix custard together and pour into a unbaked pie shell, Bake @ 450 for 10 minutes, and then 350 for another 30-40 minutes. 

I think I would use 2 cups of rhubarb however!

I didn't get around to making muffins as yet.  After I made the pie, I got completely lazy.  I sat in my chair, watching the birds outside the window, and the next thing I knew I was doing the nods.  So much for returning to projects in the studio!

I had been waiting all day for the rain that never came, hopefully today will be a better chance for some precipitation.  We really need a nice gentle soaking rain here, the ground is very dry - but then the farmers are all out in the fields seeding and I am sure they would love to be able to finish that before it gets too wet.  Maybe it's a good thing we have no control over such things!


My friend a little Morning Dove, one of a pair - is sitting on the peak of my sunroom roof, right outside my studio window... cooing away.  I could touch the bird if I stuck my hand out the window.  It's song is so peaceful and relaxing.

Well it's a new day and I'd better not waste it.  I am going to take a walking tour around my gardens just to see if anything interesting is going on out there, and then I am going to try and get working on some of those forgotten projects.

Have a Great Day Everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dale; Queen Elizabeth II has reigned for 64 years and 108 days as of today, May 24/16 according to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_in_Britain_by_length_of_reign She passed her great great grandmother on Sept 9, 2015. I think it's so exciting to have a Queen reign so long. I'm a great admirer of our Queen. I just had to share this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right, Loretta - and I knew that too - I wrote this too early in the morning obviously!

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...