Monday, December 22, 2014

A SCARY SITUATION.

I really did mean to have a post ready for yesterday, but my weekend didn't exactly turn out the way I planned and so I just never got the chance to write my Monday post.

My dog Molly is 11 and a half years old.  She is a healthy, active dog, very rarely is she ill, she never ever is cross or temperamental.
Molly went blind very suddenly this fall, which really shook us all to our bones - but in true Molly fashion she seems to have taken it in her stride, and she is dealing with it, sometimes better than us humans.

About 3 weeks ago she started drinking a lot of water, and having little peeing accidents on carpets and on her beds.  She hated this and was pretty crushed every time it happened.  It was getting to be such a problem that I had to remove all the area rugs on the main floor of the house.  We didn't think much of it except that perhaps she was reacting to the blindness, or maybe it was just age creeping up on her.

Then last Thursday she started vomiting, and then diarrhea, she stopped eating, and she stopped drinking and well it appeared as if we might lose our best friend.

She absolutely would not touch her dog food, so I made her a bland diet of boiled hamburger and rice.  She devoured it immediately, so for the past few days I have been feeding her small amounts of this and she seems to be feeling a bit better.  The diarrhea has stopped, she is drinking normal amounts of water again, and the piddling has stopped.

Yesterday my husband went on some forums to research food.  The first one he went to was the food she has been eating ( and loving) for the past few years.  What he read was shocking.  The food we were feeding our dog has made hundreds of dogs ill with exactly the same symptoms as Molly.  Some have died, some have been left with permanent liver and kidney damage.

I think we might have been lucky, but what of the millions of other people who are feeding this food to their beloved pet, unaware of the danger to their family member.

It makes me sick to think we were inadvertently harming our beautiful Molly.  I could cry - and I did!

I am seriously going to research making her food from now on.  I need to do a lot of reading to make sure this is what is best for her.  In the meantime, pet owners please go on the sites of the foods you feed your animals - read the forums, the responses, the complaints.  This food was recommended to us from a pet food store owner we have known and trusted for years...

And you can bet that I am going to be looking into this pet food company as well.

In the meantime, Molly is getting lost of special treatment.  I hope she is going to be okay, I am cautiously optimistic.  I just can't and don't want to imagine life without my Molly girl in it.

1 comment:

  1. Dale hope Molly is better. Never a good thing when you have a loved pet that is suddenly ill and how can they communicate to us. Glad you figured out what was happening and again hope she is doing better.

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...