Thursday, November 17, 2011

Christmas Swap Reaches Destination!

I can't believe it's Thursday already, soon to be Friday!  It seems this week is destined to fly by very quickly and I feel like it is leaving me behind in the dust!

Worse still - I don't seem to be accomplishing a whole lot.  I have been working on the baby blanket for the new baby in the family that is due today - but I have been poking at it, because I don't know if I should use pink or brown!  Hmmm, these babies that make their Auntie's wait!

I did get good news yesterday that the swap article to my CraftBuddy finally arrived to her.  She was good enough to take a picture of it for me, as I forgot to take a picture of the swap item before I sealed up the box. 

This swap was for a Christmas ornament made in the craft of our choice.  No surprise, I would crochet a small angel - but I wanted to make it special to the woman who was receiving it.   This partner is a spinner and knitter, in fact she designs the most beautiful knitted shawls.  She had designed one she called the "Gizmo" shawl, and I wanted the angel to have a shawl like that over her shoulders so I copied the colours of her shawl and made a miniature of it.  When I placed it on the angels shoulders I realized that by the time I would put my customary feather wings on the angel - the shawl would not be very noticeable - so I decided to starch out the shawl and use it as the angels wings.

The shawl idea was still running around my head, so I decided to make a miniature Moebius cowl for the angels shoulders... (my swap partner makes these too).  Then it was what do I put in the angel's hands?  My first inclination was a spinning wheel - no... where would I get such a small one?  Then I played around with the idea of designing a drop spindle (for spinning) - but I just couldn't get the scale correct - now I'm thinking I should have designed it in bread dough!  Anyway, to make a long story shorter - I decided to give the angel some knitting needles (made from tooth pics) and a ball of yarn.

Here is Charlotte's Gizmo shawl...

And here is the angel I did for her...


The colors of the shawl darkened with starching a bit, which was disappointing, but I think Charlotte got the general idea anyway!

Now I get to receive a swap item from Charlotte - she has already told me it won't be something knitted, so I get to wait in anticipation to find out what her ornament will be!

Did I mention how much fun these swaps can be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...