Friday, September 23, 2011

FALL STARTS TODAY!

It's official, summer is over and today Fall begins.  We never can predict how long our fall will last, sometimes it lasts well into November, and other years we can barely make it to Halloween!

Already our leaves are turning and a couple more good strong frosts and all the leaves will be brightly coloured for a few weeks and then they will be gone.  In my neighbourhood this means sweat equity.  I live in an older neighbourhood where every home is surrounded by giant old Elms.  My little home sits right under two of them, and when they start to shed their leaves my home and yard are usually buried in leaves.


I don't really mind raking and bagging leaves but I do prefer doing in on a really cool crisp October day.  I love having my cheeks tingling from the cool air while I work and better yet is returning to the warm house after the work is done and having a huge cup of steaming hot chocolate and a cookie or two, or how about some warm apple crisp with a steaming pot of tea.   Ahh... simple pleasures truly are the best!

This season I am going to try and make a pumpkin man again.  I did one the first year we were in our home.  I took a worn pair of Gary's jeans and a long sleeved flannel shirt and stuffed them with garbage bags full of leaves until I had a poseable shape.  I wedged the legs of the jeans in some old sneakers and then placed the "body" on my front steps beside my door.  I found just the right sized pumpkin for a head - drew a scarecrow-type face on it and placed it on the neck of the shirt.  Then it was off to the thrift store for an old hat - which turned out to be a flannel fedora.  I added some brick a brac around the center of the hat and plopped it on the pumpkin man's head.

He was fantastic - I received so many compliments about the life-sized figure sitting on my stairs for 2 days... and then he was gone.

Someone with not much respect and obviously no imagination to make their own pumpkin man - stole mine, right off  my property...  I didn't even get the chance to catch his image on film.

I decided to try again this year - maybe those that abducted my first man have moved out of the area - or grown up enough to realize that it is not neighbourly to steal from one's neighbours.  Hopefully this time my pumpkin man can stay for the season and for sure this time I'll get his image captured just in case he walks away again.

So Happy Fall to everyone  - enjoy Mother Nature's handiwork as you journey through this most wonderful season of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...