Friday, April 12, 2019

CREATIVE GARDENING FOR THE ADVENTUROUS COOK!

I hope you found the time to go along with me on my walk yesterday.  I mentioned at the end of the video, that I was hoping to get outside and get some work done - but that didn't happen.

Instead I decided to be kind to my sore knee and back and just putter around in the studio.  I had some tidying up to do there - things that needed putting away from the last few projects that I worked on.

I also finished the back of the sweater I am working on, and cast on the stitches for the front.  The amount of knitting I am getting done is a direct reflection on the state of my knee I'm afraid - but at least I am making good use of my down time.

So now on to today's topic...

I found a really great book down at our local recycle place quite some time ago, and I am just now getting around to reading it.



It's wonderful - so much more than I anticipated it would be.  It has obviously been around for quite some time, perhaps sitting on someone else's kitchen shelf, because it was published in 1992.  However the content is more than applicable to today's trend of growing one's own food for sustainable living.

This book describes growing and maintaining a kitchen garden for the purpose of supplying a restaurant, but the principals apply to a home kitchen garden as well.

The book covers growing vegetables, herbs, and  edible flowers, and addresses each individual plant and produce type in wonderful detail.  Things like: when to plant, where to plant - pests associated with, how to treat problems, when to harvest, how to harvest.

It also has a section on garden design and gardening techniques.  For instance - companion planting, vertical growing, container growing.

And yes - there are Recipes...

Many many really great recipes for things grown from your garden vegetables, herbs and edible flowers.  Main courses, deserts, teas, and cool drinks, to name but a few.

I am only through half of the book and already I have learned so much, and tagged so many things that I want to try in my garden and indeed in my kitchen.

What a wonderful find this book has been.

It is going to sit on a predominant shelf in my kitchen for many years to come!

I look forward to sharing some really good recipes with you all, real soon!

Just one more reason to keep your eyes open in second hand and recycle shops - you just never know what truly useful thing someone else has tired of, and moved forward for the next person to use.

Support this activity - it's beneficial to us all!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone - stay safe, and if you can, get outdoors and enjoy some Spring!





No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...