Friday, October 6, 2017

I AM THANKFUL!

While I was making cabbage rolls yesterday morning, Gary was busy cutting the grass, and generally cleaning up the yard.  I would glance out my kitchen window and wish I were outside with him, working maybe one last time in the yard before winter falls.  That was my thought - but my vision was constantly drawn to my little "shed garden".  Remember the shed fiasco of last spring?  I made a little flower bed to go around the shed, but then when the shed was moved again, I just made the garden a little larger and connected the two sides with a middle.

Last year I plopped all kinds of things in that flower bed, mostly perennials.  And then last fall I planted the Canada 150 tulips.

The flowerbed has the worst soil - I have added nothing to it since I dug it out of the grass.  This spring it started with the most gorgeous tulips, then summer arrived, and even through the drought it gave me sweet peas, cone flowers, lilies, Iris, delphiniums, and more.  There was constant colour in that bed all summer long.  Because it was so dry all summer, and I watered so little I cut everything, except the Echinacea's down in early September.  Then we finally got some rain, and all of a sudden I started to see colour once again.

Now, once again, it is giving me a beautiful show of colour in fall plants.  The fall blue grass takes my breath away, as does the clump of fall blue daisies ( which actually are purple) in this soil.  I have a lovely little  Red Sedum, and the Delphiniums that I cut down in September have decided they are not yet ready to be pushed aside, and are blooming again.  Well done, my little garden!

I just had to take a break from the cabbage rolls and take my camera outside to capture my flowerbed's last hurrah!

For all the joy this bed has given me this year, I vow to give it some new soil and some wonderful manure come spring...


aren't theses daisies adorable?


and this gorgeous Red Sedum, just perfect for fall...


                                                     Even without their petals, the Echinacea's are still pretty






I was down on my knees taking pictures of the garden, and when I struggled to my feet and looked up, this is what I saw.  Oh My Gosh, could anything be so pretty and not get a camera pointed at it?




I am so Thankful that I live where I do - in this peaceful little country town, where everywhere I look, I see something that brings a smile to my lips and a comfort to my heart.



Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian family and friends.  Whatever you do this weekend, do it with Peace, Love and Joy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...