Monday, December 13, 2010

A Christmas Memory

A few weeks ago I dug out my Christmas CD's and started loading my ipod with tunes of the season.  There I was sitting in my rocking chair with my head phones on one evening, I had just been singing along with Andy Williams and the next song to come on was actually not a song, but a recitation.

It is a recording made in 1964, and when I heard it, I turned up the volume, closed my eyes and listened to the artist's smooth voice telling a story about a little girl who didn't believe in Santa Claus.

It is a different version of the famous piece published in the New York Sun in 1897... and in my opinion much better - softer somehow.

Maybe it's how the artist calls the young girl - littleun, or maybe because he speaks with such conviction when addressing the issue of Santa Claus - or maybe it's simply the fact that the first time I heard this recording was in 1965, and I was 10 yrs old, and I felt just like the artist was speaking directly to me, and me alone.

My older readers will know that I am referring to Jimmy Dean's "Yes Patricia, there is a Santa Claus.

It's a timeless piece of Christmas tradition, that I believe should be played to young children all over the world.  The message is still appropriate even after all these years, and ten times ten thousand years from now, it will still be appropriate.

So here he is

Jimmy Dean in "Yes Patricia, there is a Santa Claus.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJNlkP27i8

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...