Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Why are there no Male Angels?

For years I have been making angels from all kinds of mediums.  Here are a few that I have made over the years - some of you will recognize some of these from years ago.










Nothing all that spectacular about any of these creations, but notice that they are all female!  Well mostly all - the one with the little boy and girl, happened because I altered the girl pattern to be a boy.

Every Angel I have seen in photos, in sculpture, handmade or purchased, has been in the female form.

Why is that?

Can't a male be an Angel?

Funny thing is, if we go to the source of where the Angels are first mentioned, and pretty much where we understand the Angels to have actually existed ( The Bible) - Angels are male, not female.  

The Angel Gabriel, is well know because of Christmas songs about him - he was the one who was the messenger about the birth of the Christ Child. Then there is Michael the Archangel, he is reported to be a most powerful Angel who battles Satan and casts Satan out of Heaven - forever!

Nowhere in the Bible is there mention of a female Angel.

So how come the images, reproductions, patterns etc of Angels we humans see, are all of female Angels?

 Why does this bother me?

Well because as a human, I have my own idea as what constitutes an Angel.  For instance - no  one will dissuade me from the notion, that the surgeons and physicians who cared and cured me of cancer, not once but twice, were indeed Angels here on earth. 
 Incidentally - all were male.
When I look at a sleeping male infant - to me that child is just as much an Angel as a female infant.

There have been so many times as a maker,  that I have balked at the presence of patterns for female angels and longed for the pattern to also contain the male counterpart.

It happened again recently.

I really like a little cross-stitch Angel ornament, which I have made several times.  Here is the very first one I did, I  kept her for myself.  She is Joyful Judy, designed by Diane Arthurs - the pattern can be found in the 2001 Edition Christmas Ornaments Just Cross Stitch 2001 Special Issue.


I decided to make a senior version of this Angel...


And the moment I finished her, I knew I wanted to make a Male Senior Angel to go with her.

So, I have started to design one of my own.  I have used the basic outline of Joyful Judy, but completely changed the rest, and I am currently stitching him .  I can't wait to get him finished and show you my creation.  


SO, what do you think?  We should have more Male Angels?

Yes?

I knew you would agree!


Till Next Time!










No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...