Wednesday, September 23, 2020

THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN FALL - EXCEPT MAYBE THIS "OVEN APPLE PANCAKE!"

 I'm not sure there is anything better than the season, of Autumn /Fall.  Mother nature pulls out all the stops on this the last true season of the year, and even if for some of us the season is rather short - it still is as beautiful and glorious as they come!

It happens to be my favourite season.  I was born in this season, so that might explain why I love it so much, but I think it's the way that fall prepares us for a different pace that I love the best.

The colours are spectacular, but then the leaves are shed and cover the ground... Mother Nature is saying "Gather your blankets, harvest the food that I have grown for you, rest now, gather your strength - I'll turn down the light and make your days shorter."

I try to allow Fall's influence into my life, by doing some of the things that the season suggests.

I gather my harvest and store it for the winter.  I pick up my knitting needles that have been sitting in a bag most of the summer forgotten, and I get back to making those socks, and blankets, mittens and shawls. 

 I go to bed earlier,  I sleep much better;  I make more hot satisfying meals, and I take more time enjoying those meals.

Fall is the only time we get to pick apples from the tree and this year the apples are plentiful in our community.  On my walks around town I have been watching trees load themselves with plump apples for the past couple of months.  And now they are ready to pick.

Everyone is giving apples away here, it's been an incredible harvest this year.

My neighbour picked 500 lbs of apples from one little tree and very kindly shared a garden-wagon full of them with me.

So yesterday I spent my day peeling coring and freezing apples to use this winter.  

One of my favourite things to make with apples is   OVEN APPLE PANCAKE.  I thought I had shared the recipe here before, but I can't locate it so, I am going to share it again.  

It's perfect for Brunch, or a special breakfast, or even an evening meal.  We have ours for our supper  along with some sausages or ham.  It is a recipe that you will make over and over again - I can promise you that!



So here is the recipe.

Note:  I make my pancake in a quiche dish, or a very deep pie plate because the batter really expands and will go over a regular sized pie plate.

OVEN APPLE PANCAKE:

1/4 cup butter 

1/3 cup brown sugar

Ground Cinnamon, light sprinkle

3 large eggs

3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

2-4 apples ( enough to cover the bottom of your pan) peeled, cored and sliced

Set oven to 425F

Melt butter in your pie plate or quiche pan. Stir brown sugar into melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon.  Place apples over sugar mixture, enough to cover the bottom of your dish and cook in oven for 10 minutes.

Beat eggs, add milk, salt and flour.  Stir to moisten.  Pour over apples, return to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve inverted so the apples and syrup are on the top.

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...