Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chip Update!

It's been three weeks since we have adopted little Chip, our yellow-sided Conure and it has been such fun getting to know him.

He has a wonderful personality.  He's gentle, affectionate, funny; very entertaining and comical to watch.  So much so, that I really don't seem to be able to accomplish much in and around my home any more.  Instead, I either play with him or just sit and watch his antics.

I am pleasantly surprised at how quiet he is.  I did a lot of research prior to adopting him and most web sites stressed that these birds could be noisy.  Lucky for me, I got one that isn't.  I think Churchill was far noisier as a youngster than little Chip is.

I am amazed at his ability to figure things out.  I try and set things up in the cage so he has to work towards a goal.  It usually takes him very little time to figure out what I have done.  I bought a toy that has a secret compartment to hide a treat inside.  It is not at all obvious - but somehow he figured it out in less time than it took me to stand in the checkout line to pay for the thing!

His favorite thing to do these days is hang upside down from the top of his cage with one leg, and feed himself with the other.  I have to figure out how to video this without the bars of the cage getting in the way... hummm....

I didn't really believe the breeder when she told me that these birds could be potty trained.  Who ever heard of such a thing?  But here's the kicker.  After three weeks of working with him, we are almost there.  He still needs to be prompted (like a child) to go to his box, but once there he definitely knows what he is supposed to do.  I'm sure when he finally speaks the first words we will hear will be "Chip, go poop!"  Won't that be embarrassing when guests are present?

Chip shows how young he is when he wants to cuddle.  He crawls under my chin, snuggles up and kind of coos to himself.  Of course I love this the most.  I love the soft tiny feathers on his head, and the sweet little chuckling noise he makes just before he closes his eyes to sleep. 

Yup - It's official - I love this little bird.

1 comment:

  1. Chip is soooo adorable Dale...makes me wish I could have a bird!

    ReplyDelete

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...