Friday, June 8, 2018

A LIFE LIVED WELL FOR ONE MORE DAY!

The other day when I was outside at the front of our property picking rhubarb for my second batch of marmalade, the most beautiful thing happened.

The Rhubarb is located right up against a Karaganda hedge that goes along the front of our property.   I walked up to the rhubarb, bent over to start picking it, my head less than a foot from the hedge and all of a sudden I was getting a very gentle lecture from a Mamma Robin.

She startled me somewhat, her chatter from inside the hedge was not loud, but it had an urgency to it.  So I lifted my head slowly and there, right in front of my face was a nest with baby robins sticking out of it, and Mamma Robin standing watch.

The first thing I thought was that she could have attacked me, or flew away screaming - but the birds in my yard know I won't hurt them.  I am always talking to them, throwing worms at them, and they are always close on the ground when I am working in the garden.

So I put my head down, continued my task and told her that I wasn't there to disturb her family, just to get my rhubarb.  I talked softly like I always do to the birds in my yard, and she started clucking away as if she was up for a chat.

I finished what I was doing, straightened slowly, peered in the hedge one more time to remind her to be careful of the cat across the street that likes to walk through the hedge, and I left.

As I walked back to the house I realized that this spring I had removed a Robin's nest from almost the same spot.  The nest I removed wasn't new, probably last years, but I have it on my landing shelf going down to the basement.

I think I smiled the whole rest of the day... what a wonderful treat that was.

The incident reminded me of what I love the most about being in the garden.  I love nature - the bees, the birds, the toads, the worms - even the plants themselves.  There is no censure, there is no stress, no fear, anger, no worries - only peace -  creatures living out their lives in harmony all around me, nature providing life for one more day.  It is after all - just as simple as that  - living a life well,  for one more day!

It's an accomplishment for everything I see in my garden and yard, and it's an accomplishment for me.

Another gardener who is not in any way religious said it so correctly - "Being in the garden is as close to Heaven as one can get." She was so very right... and until I can get to the real place - I will gladly spend my time in my garden.




That same evening I took my camera out to the hedge,  I could hear Mamma Robin and her babies,  I even set up my tripod to take a picture, and then I decided I would not.  Let them have their day, their peace.  Instead I wandered around the yard and snapped pictures of some of the beautiful things growing in my yard.

Here is my little slice of Heaven on Earth!

Have a safe and happy weekend everyone!







 






No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...